mh questions

viet-tin

Currently I have 2x 250se mhs running over my tank. My electricity bill is running on the high side so I need to cut down on the lighting. Question is will 2x150hqi 2x96pc be enough for my tank? Tank is standard 100gal 60x18x24?. Lights sit about 12" above the water but the 150s will sit much closer. My tank doesnt have many corals but I do have sps which are located near the mid-tops section of tank, 1 crocea and 1 squamosa.

r22wink

viet-in.. i have the same lighting over my tank. but mine are two seperate lights, doesnt sound like urs is anywys... and what i do is run them a total of 10hrs. but i only run them together for prob. 5-6 hrs out of 10. that might help to lower the bill alittle.. mine runs me about 25 extra bucks a month..

viet-tin

I was thinking about just getting a vho or t-5 setup and have them run most of the day and have the mhs run only 2-3 hrs a day but stil have quite alot of thinking to do. I just got done reading one of the many debates on another big forums and seems like theres really no answer to my question.

reefraff

You could try using electronic ballasts for your 250's if you arent already. 4 80 watt T5's with Ice Cap ballasts and reflectors would give you enough light but it wouldn't be a huge decrease in power usage, at least not enough to make up for the price of the new lighting. Going from meg to E- ballasts would be the best bang for the buck IMO.

viet-tin

Im running my mhs on ice caps. Think ill just save up for the 150s. I read they have higher PAR levels than my current set up.