MH Questions

jtwilson

Well i am thinking about invsting in some good MH for my 55 gal. I have sen a few pictures of some of your reefs with MH lighting and i was wondering what kind i should get. I am wanting a more actinic bluish purple look rather than a whiter daylight look. Any suggestions and pictures would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
P.S. Price Range is 350-400 OR CHEAPER!

connor

check the big E i would get the 14k if i were you not to much daylight not to much blue

T

toungetwster

I just went from 260 watt PC 12k daylight and actinic plus 78 watts T-5 HO 12k daylight to 2 250 watt MH 12k reeflux lights on my 125 and I'm amazed at the difference. I too like the blue color but want bright white. The reeflux bulbs are awesome. I only paid 371 with shipping for the ballest, reflectors and 2 bulbs! It lights up a 6 foot tank without problems or low light spots!

harndog

I have a 48" mh/ pc light. it uses 2 de 150w mh and 4 65 w atinic I use 10,000k mh and the atnic provides plenty of blue. The 10,000k makes the coral grow like mad. I am taking the 75 down and would sale the fixture for 450 i bought new in november. check my post to confirm. I am moving everything to the 175 bf and bought the coral life with 3 150 de mh and 4 96 w atinic again in the 10,000k. the 175 is awsome now. pics to come guys.

jtwilson

Hey harndog i noticed you had that fixture on a 75gal. Would it be too much light for a 55gal? anybody??

rhomer

I've found that the 20k xm's are great mixed with 10k 55 watt pc's. I get really good growth with this and I really like the blue from the MH's. The white from the PC's is plenty and the color on my corals improved greatly over the 10k AB's I first had.
I built my own hood, I bought reflectors seperate and fans for the hood. I run them on a dual PFO 175 watt remote ballast that sits on the floor. Minus the cost of materials for the hood, I think the cost was about 350.00.
This thread shows my first pic with 10k AB's and Actinic PC's. The following 2 pics shows 20K XM's and 10k PC's
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=199103
Rob

unleashed

if you realy like the bluest effect you can order 20k I just got my 400 20k blue line SE bulbs and i love them

harndog

The fixture would work nice on a 55 you are just a little more narrow. I think like 6 inches so the light would cover the top really well. In fact I have a buddy with a 55 that wants it if he can come up with the money he will most likley get it. I like the 10k supplemented with the atinics it just makes it look so real. also the coral grows better. This fixture will not work in a canopy due to the fans. The did a great job at keeping temp down on the 75 with open top. My temp stay at or below 80 all the time.