MH vs T5

mojohoojo

Hi all i just recently purchase a T5 Unit for my 20Gs....it works real well for most of my LPS and anemones. question is the more i read abt MH the more i wanna get it
...but i just invested on the T5. Now the bigggest questions, which one is better?! which one would be the Number choice of most reefers! Happy Reefing!!!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by mojohoojo
http:///forum/post/2588751
Hi all i just recently purchase a T5 Unit for my 20Gs....it works real well for most of my LPS and anemones. question is the more i read abt MH the more i wanna get it
...but i just invested on the T5. Now the bigggest questions, which one is better?! which one would be the Number choice of most reefers! Happy Reefing!!!

Its all about application. IMO, I believe that T5's can be equivelint to MH in certain applications. However when tank heights exceed 24" T5's start to fall off as far as intensity goes. As far as looks are concerned, IMO T5s are much brighter, but MH looks much more natural. The shimmer that it gives IMO is unbelievable. I am a fan of both types actually and I really cant say I like one wayyy more than the other I think for me its 50, 50. JMO.

mojohoojo

Yeah! i just google the topic and guess what?! i found a rather steamy and exiciting thread that was started in this forum
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/234316/t5-vs-metal-halide-debate-answered .
i always go to my LFS and drool when i see the MH shimmering effect gives...but at the end of the day when i compare the LPS and etc..LFS and mine does not have any big difference.
..........But there is still this ich (anybody knows whats bugging me!?) i have inside that is driving me to buy MH
. Maybe its a sign for me to Get a BIGGER tank to try and enjoy the MH. I LOVE THIS FORUM AND EVERYBODY IN IT!!!!.....okay time for me to take my medicine

perfectdark

Originally Posted by mojohoojo
http:///forum/post/2588765
Yeah! i just google the topic and guess what?! i found a rather steamy and exiciting thread that was started in this forum
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=234316.
i always go to my LFS and drool when i see the MH shimmering effect gives...but at the end of the day when i compare the LPS and etc..LFS and mine does not have any big difference.
..........But there is still this ich (anybody knows whats bugging me!?) i have inside that is driving me to buy MH
. Maybe its a sign for me to Get a BIGGER tank to try and enjoy the MH. I LOVE THIS FORUM AND EVERYBODY IN IT!!!!.....okay time for me to take my medicine
LOL Join the club we have jackets... I hear ya..I went from PC, to T5's and then MH all within a year... I like the MH the best as far as appearance I think, but I need to try a different bulb because I want a bit more blue. My T5's with 2 actinics had a really really nice looking blue color to my tank. I have a 14k now I think I am going to get a Pheonix 15K.

matt b

I have VHO on my SPS tank and IMHO I think VHOs are better then t-5. But nothing can beat MH. They make more heat but they are the best

perfectdark

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2588795
My vote is MH - I have a Sunpod 150 on my 29 gallon and I LOVE IT!
Lex I am getting the sunpod 250W for my 36gal bow... LOL 7 watts per gal tank is 22" tall with 4" stand off. I think that with the 150 on a 36, 4 watts per gal is on the low end. So, I upped it just a bit... he he he...

mojohoojo

Okay when and if i get them (MH).....does MH requires reflactors? where i come from its pretty hard and EXPENSIVE (Im taking few Gs expensive to get the fixture for tanks such as Sunpod and etc...). So the best alternative is to get from a local lighting shop, i am scared that the fixtures would not have a suitable reflactors. Will this be as issue? 150 for 20 gs is too much?

lexluethar

Dark - Very nice, i'm glad you've come over the the expensive side... i mean MH side of the force. I love the fact that you aren't comfortable with 4 watts so you're going up to 7 watts per gallon - when you and i have to beg people to at least get 4 to 5 watts per gallon on their tanks :)
Mojo - i think most if not all MH will come with individual reflectors. At least most of the systems i've seen (systems that include one or more MH bulbs and a mixture of LED lights - which the blue at night look awesome) have reclectors around the bulb themselves. For 20 gallons 150 will be good, if you want to get a 75 (do they make those?) you could do that too. My bulb is 14000k so it is more blue than white, but i think it looks great.

rdm

Now that I have MH and T5, I guess I can comment.
I would not take one over the other as far as looks. I have 156W of T5HO and 2x150 MH. The MH is clearly brighter and adds the shimmer to the water but the T5 in the actinic add something to the MH that I would not want to go without!
As far as growth I cannot comment yet!
I say go with both! My Outer Orbit 2x150 with T5HO's is great

-Ryan

wangotango

You can't say one's all-in-all better, each has their strength and weakness. That being said some of the nicest tanks I've seen are SPS dominated T5-lit tanks.
If you want the aesthetics go halide. If you want the color and versatility (throw lower cost in there too), go T5.
-Justin