Mh?

squirrel

Could some one please give me an est. cost on a MH system for a 125 gal...
I have a friend that is about to upgrade and he thinks it is only going to cost him about $100 each

Thanks
Brandi

masterzeus

$100 per light, or $100 in total? I am in the market for a set myself and have found some places that can do it around $100 each light, but you will definitely need more than 1 light for a 125 gallon tank.

bigmac

is that a 6 foot tank? I'd say if he goes 250 watts he can get three bulbs, ballast and reflectors for 6-7 hundred dollars.....its just depend on what he wants to use.

jasenhicks

I have a couple sets of 175W kits (electronic ballasts/mogul sockets/14,000K bulbs) that i ahve been trying to sell for $185 which is the cheapest ive been able to find and the same but in 250W kits for $200. I dont think he can do it for $100 unless he gets very crummy stuff (ie magnetic ballasts) with like 4,000K bulbs.

acrylic51

Hey Jason why are magnetic ballasts crummy?????? Appears you need to do alittle homework and research on bulb and ballast combinations......Depending what type of bulb and PAR readings you might be better off served using a magnetic ballast over a fancy dancy electronic ballast.
You can run and XM bulb on a nice IceCap ballast and get a poor PAR reading vs running that same bulb on a magnetic ballast and PAR reading being much higher..... Again alot of people don't understand or realize that your not looking at wattage per gallon you should be looking at the PAR and to achieve the highest PAR you might have to use different ballasts to drive the bulbs to reach that number......

acrylic51

Originally Posted by JasenHicks
I have a couple sets of 175W kits (electronic ballasts/mogul sockets/14,000K bulbs) that i ahve been trying to sell for $185 which is the cheapest ive been able to find and the same but in 250W kits for $200. I dont think he can do it for $100 unless he gets very crummy stuff (ie magnetic ballasts) with like 4,000K bulbs.
Do some homework on PAR ratings of different bulb and ballast configurations, before making off the wall comments about magnetic ballasts being crummy