Miami Florida Area

saltylake

I asked this before but lost the thread. Is there anyone here from miami? What stores do you visit, are you involved in any clubs? Or do you do any trades? thanks

saltylake

yeah, but i am looking for people that live in the miami area that could tell me what stores they visit.

class clown

Better to reply late than never...
I'm from Miami (Country Walk). I don't know about any clubs around here (I'm sure there are some), but I can tell you about my experiences with the many LFS in the area (sorry, I don't remember most names). I feel like writing up some reviews tonight :D . I'll start with the three worst ones:
1) Executive Aquariums by The Falls mall: Horrible! The place is a mess, half the fish look sick or are dead, and the two ladies that work there - who barely speak any English - don't know anything about the hobby. I saw them open up a box of sharks and dump them straight into the tanks, no acclamation of any kind. They will sell anything to anyone.
2) Town & Country mall, Kendall Dr. & SW 117th ave. I think it's owned by the oriental lady who's always there., who happens to be extremely rude. Not very knowledgeable and will also sell anything to anyone.
3) Cutler Ridge, the one with "Feathers" in the name. It's a pet shop with SW fish. Messy place, mediocre fish, and clueless kids for staff.
4) Bird Road and SW 137th ave.: Small LFS. Last time I was there about a year ago it looked a little rough but at least the owner is the salesperson and seems to know his stuff.
5) The two LFS on Bird Road and Palmetto. They are almost side by side. The one further east had the coolest FW fish I've ever seen. Very nice SW fish too. Seemed to be too eager to sell a bunch of fish to an unexperienced customer though.
6) The LFS to the west of the one mentioned above. Plenty of livestock but I haven't dealt with them enough to comment on their knowledge.
7) US1 and SW 130-something avenue. Well kept place. Friendly staff (especially the girl).
8) Sunset Drive and SW 117th avenue. One of the cleanest LFS. Fish always look great. Only place I've seen feeding their fish live brine soaked in vitamins.
9) Reef Aquariums (I think), SW 137th avenue and 152nd Street (Coral Reef Drive... how fitting!). The only LFS I know of where the owner will not carry hard to keep fish unless you bug him to get you one. Also the only one I've seen turning begineers away from certain species of fish and corals. Great advice and healthy fish.
I think those are all the one's I've been to. I remember visiting one more somewhere on Bird Road that was terrible but I don't remember the exact location or even if they're still around. There might be a couple more that I haven't been to. Hope this helps!
Oh yeah, almost forgot... Saltwaterfish.com! No one seems to know where they are, just that they are based in Miami. Ever been there?

jjlittle

I went to a awesome store in West Palm dont recall the name but is on US1 look in local phone book there are about 6 or so i visited 4 and 3 of which were nice shops and one was just awesome. The price were much less then in Daytona.There not to far from you and would be worth the trip shoot I drove 4 hours there.

therick

The lfs i go to in west palm beach is coral sea on military trail and cherry road. The owner Rob has given me some awesome deals. All the corals i've purchased have done real well, had a few issues w/ the fish(thats what i get for buying them the day he gets them into the store) but other then that they seem to get really good quality coarals.
-therick-

ninjamini

I live in Davie. I drive all over Dade, Broward and S. Palm Beach area. When I see a LFS I stop to check them out. To be honest most of them are pretty bad looking. Dead fish, melting corals, more dead snal/ crab shells than live ones.
All these signs scream "Bad Fish Store". I am new to this hobby, but dead things aint pretty and turn me off. I accept a dead fish here and there. If there are dead ones in every tank or if the dead ones look really dead (as apposed to mostly dead I guess) then its for looking and not buying.
There are only a few LFSs that I would buy from. I know the two on bird road that are mentioned above. The one a block east has some nice stuff. There is also one on S Dixie hwy just south of Brandsmart on the east side. There is one in Boca that is really nice.
Above all---DON'T TRUST THE SALESPERSON AT THE LFS!!!!!
Yes they want to sell you something. They dont care what. Think of them as a hooker on 49th ST, They for something for you weather its good/bad/dangerous or dying. I have asked them many questions to test their knowledge and honesty. Here is what I have been told:
"Yes you can get that anenomee for the eclipse 6 gallon. Keep those clown fish happy"
"No a fuge is not as good as a wet/dry system. It does not clean the water like the wet/dry" They sell wet/drys dont forget. A tank & algie dont sell for much
"You dont need to test for it if you just add a few drops of this every week"
"You can buy the tank, sand, rock, coral and fish all today. The fish will help it cycle. Come back in 2 weeks for the anenomee"
Then there is the ever more famous "no the more expensive one is better"
One of my favorites is one that I read about here on the boards: "Aspasia for sale! - Easy to care for"

memole

"Then there is the ever more famous "no the more expensive one is better""
This one is my favorite line.....

ballyhoo

I'm From Miami too...
I've been to those on Bird and To the on on 167th in N Miami, there is also one in Hialeah next to Westland Mall (but don't go there, they try to pay the rent with just one sale) I have also been to Aquarama on NW 27th and those guys are pretty cool.