Mike's 10g Nano Thread

mike22cha

Well today is the day. I'm going to move over my 10g and get the equitment hooked up. I'll take pics of it being set up. I'm going to try and get some rocks from my 125g and 20g to start cycling, but I'm going to have to make sure the rocks don't have the algae on it that the rest of the tank has in the 20g and in the 125g there is some. This whole thing may be delayed if I find my high nitrates are coming from the RO/DI water. But if not then I'm going to use the sand and rock to cycle the tank. And in a few days hopefuly I'll be buying a coral or two.

Here's the equipement list:
-10g Glass tank
-150w Sunpod MH 20"(wouldn't fit on my 20g unless I built a wooden hood which sounds flamable so I figured I'd leave it on my 10g until I find a solution or get another tank)
-I found an old HOB Power Filter (I believe it's a Emperor) and I"m going to get new filter pads, because the old ones were well worn, at Petsmart
-Powerhead I"m going to get at Petsmart
-Sand and Rock from my 125g and 20g
I plan on getting SPS, LPS, maybe Zoanthids, Clams, Feather Dusters, Shrimp, Snails, and Hermits for a stocklist. I don't know if I'm going to get fish, I may later.
I was oging to have like 100$ right away to spend on corals, but i need the power head and filter pads, and I just found out about a new video game that's coming out (Rainbow Six Vegas 2
) so it looks like I may be able to get a frag or two, who knows.
But I'm pretty excited about the whole thing.

mike22cha

Ok tested my salt mix for nitrates because I have high nitrates in my 20g and 125g and the water came out as 0 nitrates and I tested salinity and the SG came out 1.010.
So it's a little low.
But here's what I plan on doing. Add some mix then take 10g out. Take some sand out of my 20g and rock out of my 125g. Then I'm going to do a water change on the 20g monday or tuesday with the perfected water and try to reduce my nirtate levels as well as cyphon out some algae. The water that I'm going to use today I figured would be fine because it can mix in my 10g and nothing is going to be alive in there accept rock and sand.
So that's the plan.

mike22cha

Well my 125g water's nitrates are way high, over 20, so I'm just going to move the rock and sand from my 20g over. I'll battle the algae in a tank with no nitrates, figured that'd be better.

paintballer768

Moving over sand and rock from the 125 shouldnt raise the nitrates. The water will though. Good to see you made a progress thread. I would buy RSV2 also, maybe buy one or two very nice frags to begin with. If I could go back, I would take out the cheaper corals that have spread like mad and added only the nicer ones. Dont do the same mistake I did haha. LPS/SPS mostly IMO, with a colony of nice zoos or something. SPS/LPS are going to take up a lot of room though in the future, as will a clam
Pictars!

Your tank looks amazing. We must be on the same time frame or something- only I haven't received my lights yet!
What kind of power head do you have? Do you only have one in there? I took sand/water/rock from my 150 & 72 too...
And your icon... COD... I resubscribed to xbox live for my bf for his bday last week... I haven't gotten to watch anything on my TV since last week. He was playing today from like 8pm-12am.
PS. Why does your tank look bigger than mine? haha.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by beadebaserrrr
http:///forum/post/2464717
Your tank looks amazing. We must be on the same time frame or something- only I haven't received my lights yet!
What kind of power head do you have? Do you only have one in there? I took sand/water/rock from my 150 & 72 too...
And your icon... COD... I resubscribed to xbox live for my bf for his bday last week... I haven't gotten to watch anything on my TV since last week. He was playing today from like 8pm-12am.
HAHAH sounds exactly like me and charger on live. Tanks looks good man. One suggestion....make your bed

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2464946
HAHAH sounds exactly like me and charger on live. Tanks looks good man. One suggestion....make your bed

No, it isn't funny. I have not been able to play viva pinata since last week. Haha.
We need more pictures of this tank.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by beadebaserrrr
http:///forum/post/2464717
Thank you. Yeah I"m pretty anxious to get this thing up and running and be able to add corals and stuff.
Not sure what powerhead it is, some cheap one at Petsmart that has like this sticky things so it can stay on the side of the glass and yes there's only one.
My tank may be bigger because I zoomed in a lot? or it could be because I didn't resize the pics so it's huge. I don't know.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2464946

I'm Charger on live haha. But I"m actualy NBW Ghost.
Don't worry my mom made me today, then I had to take a nap because I'm sick haha. Hate making my bed.