Mimic Tang Bullying Firefish

Jen831

So I recently purchased a firefish along with a filefish. They are doing great so far, except for the fact that my mimic tang seems to have it out for his new tank mates. The filefish seems to be able to hold his ground, but my poor firefish hides in a little cave most of the day. The only time I really get to see him is when he comes out to eat. I have been reading a few topics on the issue, but the only suggestions I have found are to rearrange the rock or put the tang in "time out" for a couple days in a QT tank. I really don't want to stress the tang out by trying to catch him and putting him in another tank, than having to catch him again and put him back in main tank. Also my tank is a reef tank so rearranging the rocks is difficult with the corals on them. I was thinking of buying a few more firefish for a "safety in schools" kind of thing, but have read multiple reviews saying they will fight with their own kind. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

jay0705

What u read is correct. Tangs generally don't do well at first with new additions. I love my naso bc he doesn't bother a thing. Far more intrest from my yellow with new addtions.
Fire fish are skittish to begin with, so instead of taking rock out, could you add a few new peices?

Jen831

I may be able to get away with a few small pieces. I don't want it too clustered for circulation purposes as well as plenty of swimming room for the tang when he reaches adult size. He's a juvenile right now.

I was thinking of possibly introducing a larger fish into the tank. Right now the tang is the largest fish, so I was thinking of getting my foxface that I had wanted anyway sooner than I had planed lol I know they are a peaceful fish, but I had one in my FOWLR tank and even my triggers would back off when he threw up those spines. Maybe the tang would mind his manners a bit more when he realizes he isn't the baddest fish in the tank anymore lol

jay0705

How big is your tank? Yes my yellow eyed up my fox. Then the spines went up. Np after that.

2quills

They tend to do that. It should stop after a little while. As long as there are no injuries it's pretty normal.

Jen831

Yea I wouldn't say it was vicious. Tang just chases him around when he tries to come out into the middle of the tank. Just felt bad the poor little guy is becoming a recluse lol But he's still eating so I'm not really worried about that. Just don't want him to get really stressed and get ich or die.

Thanks for the replies! :)