Mini Brittle Stars

reefnut

It's crazy... this is the largest concentration I found tonight but they are also all over the rest of the tank pretty thick… and floating around like crazy. They have no predators and I keep everything feed pretty well. There is also an abundance of bristle worms, spaghetti worms, pods and several other types of critters.

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by ReefNut
They have no predators and I keep everything feed pretty well.
I used to look into my tank with a flashlight and the CBS would have one mini-brittle in each pincher, snacking on them.

dperna

thats awesome! i couldnt even count how many you had lol. how do you like them? i was going to pick up that 20-55g clean up package that included 2 in them. do you really have to spot feed them? because i heard some people do, and some people just let them eat left over fish food in the sand. but congrats on that star farm i guess you could call it

demartini

very cool! this reminds me of a picture I took at theMoterey bay aquarium... there was a rock covered in brittle stars... you couldn't even see a speck of the rock!!! it was crazy!

reefnut

The mini brittle is normally a hitchhiker. The ones you buy get MUCH bigger. The largest ones I have are about 1 1/2" to 2" across the arms. The normal size brittles do need to be spot feed sometimes but these little guys just feed on particals they catch.

ophiura

Originally Posted by DPerna
thats awesome! i couldnt even count how many you had lol. how do you like them? i was going to pick up that 20-55g clean up package that included 2 in them. do you really have to spot feed them? because i heard some people do, and some people just let them eat left over fish food in the sand. but congrats on that star farm i guess you could call it

No, these are mini brittlestars, not the larger species in clean up packages. The larger species can be issues (in particular the green, a known predator). But yes, the larger one's should be spot fed. The micro brittlestars as shown here, are no larger than a quarter, and a hitch hikers on LR typically.

dogstar

Wow.....
I know I have lots of ones simular throughout my tank and fuge, but this is all I can ever see of them. Just a couple of arms sticking out every where.....This is from the fuge.
When ever I remove a rock to frag or something then often a few will crawl out into the bowl...there about an inch or two wide.
Theres also many smaller, all white ones that I see mainly in the sand bed...largest only about a 1/2 inch...dont know if they are just babies of the larger ones or a different species.

bojik

WOW if you have that many trade em around on here to people needing hem> i have not seen a green variety like that. Just reds whites and tans.

ophiura

Dogstar -
They are different species. The small white one has five arms and is Amphipholis squamata. It is a simultaneous hermaphrodite that broods its offspring...and so reproduces well. THis is one of the single most successful and common animals on the planet.
The striped arm forms are typically six armed species, and reproduce by splitting (though they also have sexual reproduction). There are two main genera that I've seen. One is Ophiocomella, and another is Ophiactis
. Though similar in body form and color, they actually aren't all that closely related.

richarl5

Cool pics! Thanks for sharing! (I have a three of those so far...but they only stay on one of my rocks with their arms sticking out to catch food.)

V

vicegrip

What about these. I have a hundred of these stars. The size of a pencil eraser :thinking: