Mini Reef Trouble...

triggerfool

Im starting a mini reef in my 12 gallon eclipse, but i cant seem to get the temperature below 81-82 degrees. All i have in there now are some polyps and mushrooms, but im scared to get anything else. Will this temp be a problem for me?
Bio Load=1 mandarin, 1 perc clown, and a clean up crew.

broomer5

Why can't you get the temperature below 81-82F.
I know that sounds funny - not being smart - just wondering why you think that is.
Lighting ?
Powerheads ?
Room temp ?
Heater stuck ?
Heater not set right ?
Bad thermometer ?

triggerfool

The way the eclipse is set up, the hood doesnt allow heat to escape from the lights. Im sure thats the problem, but i dont want to get new equipment. Id rather just adapt, if possible.

demodan

Try this board, these guys talk about a homemade chiller in the DIY section.
<a href="http://www.nanoreefs.com" target="_blank">www.nanoreefs.com</a>

fishymissy

There is nothing wrong with keeping your tank at 82 degrees. This is a more natural temperature anyway. I keep both of my tanks at 82 and all critters are fine.
I am more concerned with a mandarin in such a small tank. Are you raising pods in another tank for it?

triggerfool

Contrary to popular belief, some Mandarins actually eat Brine Shrimp. Yes its true. I made sure he did before i bought him. Hes doing great, he and my perc get along awesome...though i cant keep a anemone for my perc cause of the mandarin. :( Oh well, i did my research so i know.
Hoo Ha!

kelly

Triggerfool,
Most mandarins will eat brine shrimp, but will slowly starve over a period of a few to several months. I just hope that yours is not one of them. If you can, I would try to get some copepods, etc for them. A detrivore kit would not hurt at all. Inland Aquatics offers them if you are interested.
Anyways I wish you the best of luck with it, this is my favorite fish. I am waiting for my copepods to build up again before getting one.
I have heard the the temp you are experiencing is fine, just not to much higher.