Mini-star Question

marvida

OK,
I've seen this question asked for years and the answer has always been the same, but here goes anyway.
I found a mini-star this week. No big deal, I've seen them before, but not like this one. Instead of being mostly white or white with banded arms, this one matches exactly to a large brittle star that I have in this tank.
Is it possible that this little star is a juvenile star, or is it just a coincidence that it appears to be the same as the big one?
The mini-star is the size of a nickel.

ophiura

Holy cow!
You've got a bambino :D
It is Ophiomastix annulosa, and it will be purdy as I expect the other is :)
I am quite interested to know that you have an adult also. How long have you had your LR? How long have you had the adult? Many brittlestars do brood their babies so it is possible this is a case of brooding. Could you keep me posted if you see others? Could you show me a pic of the adult?

marvida

I have had the adult for around four months. The adult looks just like the baby except that it has "paddle like" tenticles interspersed down the length of the legs. I haven't added any live rock to the tank for a couple of years. I saw the little one this morning and it seemed a little smaller than it did the other day, about the size of a dime.
Here's a ventral shot of the adult. I'll try to get a dorsal if I can. It doesn't like to pose.

ophiura

Yup, that's the one! :D One of my favorites! The term "annulosa" refers to all the ornate dark markings....around the mouth you will see plates that often have nice circular type markings.

seth

thats sweet. but umm.well do u have any fish in your tank:notsure: if so what kind.
:happyfish