Minimum Ligthing for Live Rock?

aqua blue

I would like to start adding live rock to my tank. Right now I only have the basic lighting that came with it. (2) - 18" - 15watt fluorescent bulbs.
?1.) Will this basic lighting keep the "live" rock alive enough to start the benefits of filtering and seeding the sand bed with critters?
?2.) If I just change the bulbs will it make much of a difference?
?3.) Should I just wait until I can upgrade the lighting before I start adding live rock?
I don't have a lot of extra money to spend right away and I don't want to start adding live rock that will only die under my limited funds.
All advice is appreciated.

stacyt

Lighting os not really all that important if you are just keeping LR. If you want good coraline algae growth then better lighting would help. The thing you need to be careful about is adding uncured LR to your tank with existing fish. If the LR is uncured you will most likely get an ammonia spike that could kill of existing livestock.

aqua blue

Thanks for the quick reply Stacy T. I plan on adding "cured" live rock from lfs. If I keep the "cured" rock wet bringing it home I hope this will the keep the "die off" to a minimum.
I just want to avoid as many mistakes as possible.
Thanks Again:)