miracle mud

buckets

I just purchased a 180 gal. aquarium which I will use as a reef tank. A friend of mine suggested that I use "miracle mud". I know nothing about miracle mud and I want to know if it is worth purchasing and if so, how and where is the best place to purchase it.

birdy

Miracle mud is a type of substrate used in ecosystem filters. It is used in conjuction with a refugium type filtration system. There is a lot of positive feed back on these systems but they are fairly expensive. I am considering one on my next reef. They have a website but I am not sure what it is, you can do a search on ecosystem filters to find more info.

sprintermike

one place that sells miracle mud is indo pacific sea farms. i have never tried the stuff as it is a little pricey for me with shipping.
however, it has been recommeded highly and looks good.
the website is
<a href="http://www.ipsf.com" target="_blank">www.ipsf.com</a>

new

i have a hangon ecosystem on a 75gl, it was a bit pricey and this site also sells them, havent had it long so no real opinion from me but did find alot of positive feedback on it so got it. when i setup my larger tank i will incorperate the mud into a homemade refrigium.the ecosystem web site is ecosystemaquariumn.com i believe.

kris walker

I suggest making a refugium, put arragonite sand in it, and add a few varieties of caulerpa and light 24/7.
Just my 0.02,
kris

adrian

I agree with Kris, why buy a refugium and pay for a brand when you can just get a tank and fill it with really fine sand, get it wet, and call it mud. Throw in some caulerpa and a little rock and you have a refugium ;)

new

i agree with both of you as far as not purchasing one like i have, had i known i would not but that is why i come here to learn, with LS as the base would you need a skimmer?

fallen04

my reef uses a ecosystem with miracle mud and it is far better than most of the filter systems out there. the mud works great and the calurpa grows fast and filters the water perfectly.