Misc. Questions. Building a new tank.

fretfreak13

So this will be my fourth tank since starting the hobby in August of '09. Currently I have a 29 gallon mixed reef, a 20 long mixed reef (donated and being kept for research at my high school), and a 10 gallon mantis tank. I'm now of going for a 30 long/breeder Peacock tank. Questions are...
-Will T12s work for saltwater plants? I know that they're used in freshwater planted tanks.
-Will that light spectrum bother the mantis more than, say, Power Compacts?
-Are there any urchins that can be kept with the macro algea?
-What about sea stars?
-Is the 30 gallon too small for a sandsifting star? I heard they need large tanks.
-How much flow?
-What are some neat, low-light anemones? (And can they be kept under T12s if thats the best macro light?)
-Can you think of anything I could dose that could make this tank awesome? I know dosing isn't necessary, but I'd like to start looking into it.
-How many chromis would you put in a 30 gallon? Four?

handbanana

Hi, I was just wondering, your going to put those critters in with a peacock?
Will they be ok? (I hope so) I plan on starting a peacock tank in the next two weeks and would love to know what if anything you can keep in their with the mantis! Sorry I cant answer any of your questions ( I have the same ones, plus a few of my own)
I look forward to reading about another peacock tank.
Cant wait to see more mantis's

-Nick-

fretfreak13

Thats alright, I don't mind a thread jacking. Might as well throw them out and see if they can be answered too. I've heard mixed reviews about stars and urchins, and fish are generally ok with well-fed smashers.
I feel like a bad mom right now..I just went to change out my Chigara's PVC cause he seemed to be getting to big for the one he had in there, so I took out all the rock and between me being worried about my fingers and him trying to burrow we stirred up the sand pretty good. I got a nice 4.0 amm reading, panicked and did a 150% water change (it's back to 0)...I hope he's ok. He sure seemed unphased, but I'm friggin pacing right now.

handbanana

I remember I asked you about Mantis shrimp a long time ago and you referred me to Cranberry and she yelled at me for trying to Hijack her thread...
...I dont want that to happen again. :)
And I think That makes you a responsible mom, not a bad one. :)
I never even thought about having to change out tubes! That sounds......not fun. How do you keep him away? Is he more curious or more like "I feel like a nice finger treat today"? .yikes
What do you plan on paying for your peacock if you dont mind me asking? I dont know the prices of these guys but the ones I was directed to were $90 after shipping. Thats the price of all of my livestock so far. A bit steep for me but I want to have a mantis badly. Ive become pretty fascinated by these critters. My LFS said they can order me one for a quarter of that price. But then how do I know Im getting a peacock?
I hope some more peeps chime in here. Im in mantis mode now. Hows Mr. Chigara doin? Good I hope.
-->Nick