missin fairy wrasse pair

Two fairy wrasses i added last week. I've only seen them once. the day after i added these two fish they both made an appearance for feeding time, then i haven't seen them since then. My ? is are they known to be shy fish. the other two wrasses i have are very freindly and outgoing. levels have not gone stray. 75 gallon reef tank.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by kevinbeatzeus
http:///forum/post/2877512
Two fairy wrasses i added last week. I've only seen them once. the day after i added these two fish they both made an appearance for feeding time, then i haven't seen them since then. My ? is are they known to be shy fish. the other two wrasses i have are very freindly and outgoing. levels have not gone stray. 75 gallon reef tank.
They are shy. but what is these two fish?
did you qt them to make sure they were eating first?

I did not QT them, i didn't have the space. They ate pretty well the first day i added them into the tank. That was the last time that I saw them.

-tara33-

you say you have two other wrasses in the tank, what are these?, sometimes wrasses can be aggressive towards other wrasses!

scoobydue4

I hope its not the case here, but I here that some newly established wrasses are notorious for jumping out of the aquarium. Did you look on the floor behind the tank?

stdreb27

Yeah especially if it was two males instead of a male and a female. Jumping could be the problem.

detguy313

do you have a top on your tank..fairys are known to jump it is not if but when..eggcrate will not keep them in either

ha, ya. i hae checked around the tank. I'll just have to keep checking back. the other two wrasses are a four and six line...

stdreb27

Originally Posted by kevinbeatzeus
http:///forum/post/2878966
ha, ya. i hae checked around the tank. I'll just have to keep checking back. the other two wrasses are a four and six line...
In reality that is a REALLY bad combo of wrasses. I seriously doubt your fairy's are still around, they are pretty mellow fish, and either jumped or aren't going to come out as long as the 4 and 6 line are around.

anonome

I bought a ruby head fairy wrasse the friday after Thanksgiving of this year. It buried itself in the sand right away.....never saw it again. I actually considered it to have died, then a few days ago.....3 wks later.....it is swimming around in the tank as if it always has been there.
I am by no means saying that your fish are doing the same, don't know the tank, but, I will tell you that I consider myself experienced and have never had a fish just dissapear, and then out of the blue appear. Wrasses will bury themselves in the sand to feel secure, then slowly acclimate themselves to the tank, and tankmates. This was a first for me, but shows me that just about anything can and will happen in the saltwater hobby!!!
Good luck finding your two, as far as the other wrasses they should be fine with fairy wrasses as long as the tank is large enough to handle all of them. A 75g tank is very marginal for that many wrasses, considering the number one reason is that they all eat pods, and worms....eventually you will run out of the food they seek pretty quickly, and fights will break out for competition for live food.
You can feed them well, but their nature is to hunt for live food and this is why all four are not suitable for that size tank. If I were you, I would decide which two I wanted and stick with those. Of course, if is ultimately your decision.

Good stuff! I'll keep my eyes open, see if they appear. Thanks for taking the time. I'm pursuing a new, bigger tank, i'm thinking of going 140 gal, but i need the tank to be 48" in length. Thanks again. Happy holidays