Mitsubishi cars reliable?

csrobe02

First off let me say this... I am 20 years old and getting ready to move up to Gainesville for college (Go Gators!). Right now I have a 1999 Ford mustang that gets about 12 mile/gal (hooked up engine). With gas prices reaching $2.10/gal, I just will not be able to afford my mustang through college. Along with the gas, I owe $8,000 on it, and insurance cost more than my car payment. So with my mustang, I am looking at $200/month for gas... $200/month car payment... $220/month insurance... for a grand total of $620 a month (wow... never done the math like that... now I REALLY need to get rid of my car :eek: )
Anyways... with that said, how reliable are mitsibishis. I am looking for a car that will be cheap on insurance, gets GOOD gas mileage (and that I dont have to put 93 octane in), and that I can have fully paid off by the time I get to Gainesville. The car that I am looking at is the 2004 Lancer OZ rally. I am really starting to like the look of this car, and it looks like it would be the perfect candidate, seeing that it is 4 door, and gets 25 mile/gal!
Now the deciding factor is... I dont know how reliable mitsubishi cars are. It would be a brand new car, hot off the lot... But I dont want to deal with lots of problems down the road. Does anyone own a mitsubishi, or know enough about cars that they would be able to give any insight on this subject.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated, and would really help out alot!
Oh yea... I have someone interested in my car, so I might have my car sold by the end of the week. I need to make a quick decision :D

fshhub

i know a little about cars. one of my many jobs includes running a used car dealership.
with new, mitsubishis are very reliable, used well it all depends on hwo owned it before you(just like any other car).
however, if you want a good reliable car that is inexpensive and decent on insurance, look at the hyudnai lines. some of them will even get you well into the 30 mpg range or even better. and you just cant beat them(they are like a timex), NOT to mention that they are very modable(if you want more umph!)

broncofish

I don't know if I would go with that OZ model...don't get me wrong I love OZ product, I have their F1 rims on my car, but it's a lot of extra money for a badge, their low end rims, and a different ********. My old next door neighbor has an evo, and he loves it. He spent a little money to make it look unique(rims, lights etc..) and spent less than he would have for that OZ package. As far as reliability. I agree with fshub, alot of that has to do with the owner as well. Are going to keep up with scheduled maint, oil changes, and not pedal to the medaling around town...then yeah they are reliable. I also agree that the new hyundais are rock solid...if you can deal with going from a pretty fast mustang :happy: to a fairly slow, and often clowned on hyundai

spoon

I like the 2004 OZ model, I can say all kinds of crap about the '02 and '03 models though.
My first car was a Mitsu Eclipse. With a Mitsu, you really don't have to worry about the doorhandles falling off, or the windows not being able to work.
As for the Lancer, it has been out for a few years so I am sure all the kinks and bugs are all worked out of the model. As you should know, NEVER buy a model the first year in production! Wait until the rest of the public purchases (and inevitably) complains about the new model, that way as stated above, you are assured a quality model, (hopefully) free of any defect.
I conclude that you should be safe with a 2004 Lancer. But I should also add, the Evolution is not a bad buy at $35,000. That engine will last FOREVER, as it has been in existance for well over fifteen years. The engine code is 4G63. Do your research on that bad boy and you will find that she is quite the workhorse.
Justin

kittykitty

The sportier the car, the more the insurance. The OZ will probably cost you more than the regular model as far as insurance goes.

jkvjl

trust me on this..AS fshhub said the new mitsubishi cars are very reliable. The older cars gave the company such a bad name there in a rebuilting stage. Good car Good choice
:happy:

kinkfish

I work at a mitsubishi dealership if you want a car that will be worth 3000
dollars after 3 years get a hyundia. If you want good japanese engineering get a Mitsubishi go with the new rally art which has a 2.4l engine in it and still gets great gas milage. Also talk to your dealer about a college program where mitsubishi will offer extra incentives for you to buy!!!

kinkfish

also insurane does not go up because the car has nice wheels and tires ground effects and a spoiler

S

spsaddict

i sold cars for 6 yrs... i personally would never buy a mitsubishi... if im gunna buy foriegn id get a honda

purity

man, if i were you i'd just go get a late 90's model toyota pickup. that's #1 if saving money & having something reliable is yer goal.

sailfin

Originally posted by kinkfish
also insurane does not go up because the car has nice wheels and tires ground effects and a spoiler

uuuum yes it will increase your insurance as does the color of the car. Anyway, please don't get a Hyundai or a Mitsubishi. As stated above the Hyundai will depreciate so fast you'll loose you a$$. The Mitsu's are in a rebuilding phase, bad news. Maybe in a few years, but not now. If you want a really good sporty, cheap, brand new car, go with the new Mazda 6. Automobile magazine is doing a road test of these and it is like a tank. It currently has 23,965 miles at last report. Gets 23 MPG. Maintainance has been $179.27. The price of the car is $25,445. Not to shabby IMO. BTW I am a reputable source. I have been in the car business for 10 years. Full time while in college and part time after. My dad owns a car lot as well, so we have seen all kinds of cars, good and bad, lol.
:yes:

blackomne

What are the Mitibuishi and Hyundai lines like on ground clearnace. I have a 89 chevy cavalier and I can't go anywhere with that thing. The gas mileage is great but if I hit a bump in the road I get highcentered easily. I had a toyota tercel and it got good gas mileage and it had high clearance. Just wondering.

kinkfish

quote:

[hr]

[hr]
uuuum yes it will increase your insurance as does the color of the car. Anyway, please don't get a Hyundai or a Mitsubish.
Hey jack -ss my dad owns the lot too like I said spoiler ,ground effects
and wheels will not raise your insurance it is all done by the VIN #
color is less than a 1% factor in rating insurance

sailfin

quote:

[hr]

[hr]
uuuum yes it will increase your insurance as does the color of the car. Anyway, please don't get a Hyundai or a Mitsubish.
Hey jack -ss my dad owns the lot too like I said spoiler ,ground effects
and wheels will not raise your insurance it is all done by the VIN #
color is less than a 1% factor in rating insurance

I won't warn you twice, you better watch your mouth. I know what I am talking about. They can and do stereotype. I suppose you think boys insurance is the same as girls? I was posting a nice reply to help someone out. If all you can do is cuss then I suggest you not post anything else. Have a great day.

joerdie

CSROBE02: this is jmo but mabey you should look into getting a car that doesnt cost $35,000. you are just getting into college and you will have plenty of time to waste money on cars later. get a USED car. you might not get laid as much but the girls youll get with a sporty car are skanks anyway. buy a camery or a taurus mabey a '97 or '96. theses cars work just fine and get good milage. plus when some drunk dude pukes in your car (it will happen) it wont be that big a deal if your in a car that cost you 5 grand and not fifty.
as i said this is just mo but you really dont need a sporty car. and for someone looking to save money (you did state this as an important factor) you arent really looking very hard if all you can find is a 35,000 dollar car.

kinkfish

I won't warn you twice, you better watch your mouth. I know what I am talking about. They can and do stereotype. I suppose you think boys insurance is the same as girls? I was posting a nice reply to help someone out. If all you can do is cuss then I suggest you not post anything else. Have a great day.
I better be careful with those idle threats. What a Donkey, he knows what he is talking about well I guess sailfin is the spokes person for all insurance companies and everybody should listen to his advice. insurance companies will factor in your --- what side of the tracks your
zip is in and your driving records. and the value of the car
The car he asked about is a 2.0 liter car with 218horse power the oz package is wheels.spoiler and ground effects the es is the same minus the wheels spoiler and ground effects the insurance cost differance is minimual

spoon

Originally posted by spsaddict
i sold cars for 6 yrs... i personally would never buy a mitsubishi... if im gunna buy foriegn id get a honda

Used to work at a Mitsu dealership, great cars. I now own a Honda. They're cheap, light, highly moddable... but my driver-side window wont roll down, the hood release latch broke, and my driver-side door lock wont lock from the inside. Other than that, I like Honda's very much!
Oh yeah, and Mitsubishi is definately NOT in a rebuilding phase. You know that engine, the 4G63, the one that's been around for ages? That said, definately NOT in a rebuilding stage.
Justin