Mixing Angels

srfisher17

Once in a while, I see a juvi emperor, blue face, or other large angel that is hard to pass up. Most are too small to put in my large-fish tanks and I'm wondering about keeping them in a 55 until they grow a bit and show some assertiveness. But this tank has a full grown Flameback angel. I've done this, very short term and have kept a Flame and adult Blue Face together for several years with no problems; but I know its always a gamble. The new juvi could always be put back in QT at the 1st sign of real trouble. I'd appreciate hearing your experiences. Thanks!

A

azul1994

I'm deffinitely no expert but how big would the large angel be and how big is the flame back? (inches)

srfisher17

Originally Posted by azul1994
http:///forum/post/2569650
I'm deffinitely no expert but how big would the large angel be and how big is the flame back? (inches)
The Flameback is 3+ in; about as big as they get. Any juvi large angel would be about the same size. This flameback is not nearly as fish in this genus often are.

ccampbell57

Hey SR -
I would think that the juvi emperor or blueface will be fine as long as you keep a close eye on them in the 55.
I would say you have around 8 months of time before it will outgrow the tank.
The other question I would have would be the aggressiveness of the flameback. Have you had any other fish in there with him? What was his reaction.
I would make sure that the juvi large angel is bigger or smaller than the other angel. Same size angels dont do very well IMO.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
http:///forum/post/2570258
Hey SR -
I would think that the juvi emperor or blueface will be fine as long as you keep a close eye on them in the 55.
I would say you have around 8 months of time before it will outgrow the tank.
The other question I would have would be the aggressiveness of the flameback. Have you had any other fish in there with him? What was his reaction.
I would make sure that the juvi large angel is bigger or smaller than the other angel. Same size angels dont do very well IMO.
The Flameback has his "turf", but doesn't bother anybody.
I know what you mean about size, I've seen a flame and a flameback instantly go after each other. How they recognize each other is something I guess we'll never know; but those are two closely related fish. This is probably another one of those "individual fish" areas. I guess I'll just do it and watch, if the right fish comes along; and find room somewhere else if I need to. The juvi would probably be close to the same size

stdreb27

Personally I've been really successful with my coral beauty, Flame angel, and Juvi imperator. But it was a large tank. Sadly right now I have the dwarfs in a 45 gallon tank. And the coral beauty chases the flame around a tiny bit.