Mixing Dwarf Angels

chub

Ive seen posts on here where people want to add 2 dwarf angels Ive read where thats a nono. I'd love to add 2 to mine. Is it safe to do even if you add at the same time? I want a flame and a bio-color

browniebuck

as with most things in this hobby, you are hearing what MOST people find to be true. In general, dwarf angels (or larger angels) do not like each other. Depending on the size of the aquarium, amount of LR and hiding spaces, when the fish are added, and just plain luck...you may or may not have success with mixing them.
I had success personally in my 55 with an eibli and a keyhole, though this was done by accident (my wife placed an order from SWF when we already had the eibli and she fell in love with the keyhole...oops!!!). When the keyhole was ready to go into the DT, I had to rearrange all of my LR to get rid of the territory that had been claimed by my eibli. I still thought that I was going to have to get one out, but they calmed down after a day or two.
I would not advise mixing them in anything smaller than a 6 foot tank....the more room that they have, the less they will see each other, which will mean the less likely they are to show aggression.
Your best bet if you want to do this is to add them at the same time (assuming that your tank is large enough).

mastertech

in my experiance (125 gallon) i had one coral beauty and one keyhole angle. i never saw them much because they we always hiding from eachother.

chub

I think my 55g is to small to make it work. I was looking for 2 larger fish to go with the 2 clowns I have already

I've had a flame/coral beauty/queen angel combo before with absolutely no problems whatsoever. It's definately not recommended but it can be done.

browniebuck

If you wanted to try this, you could try 2 different body types (perhaps a bi-color and a coral beauty), but add them at the same time. If you were to decide to do it, just have a back-up plan in case of aggression (separate tank or QT tank).

crypt keeper

Its Bi Color and they arent that great of fish that survive. try and find a MAC Caught fish. You will pay more but the fish will have a better chance of curvival. Also both of these fish get on the bigger scale of Dwarfs. The Bi Color reaching 6 inches the Flame 4 when fully grown. Nothing less than a 125 gallon IMO would be big enough once fully grown.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3178006
Its Bi Color and they arent that great of fish that survive. try and find a MAC Caught fish. You will pay more but the fish will have a better chance of curvival. Also both of these fish get on the bigger scale of Dwarfs. The Bi Color reaching 6 inches the Flame 4 when fully grown. Nothing less than a 125 gallon IMO would be big enough once fully grown.
What do you mean Bicolors don't have great survival rates?

coral keeper

I have 2 Dwarf Angelfish in my 180 gallon. I have a Flame Angelfish and a Bicolor Angelfish. The Flame is aggressive toward the Bicolor every now and then, but nothing serious at all. The Bicolor actually likes to hang out with the Flame, but the Flame doesn't like it so much. lol They both do nip here and there on corals, but no serious damage is done to the corals. Just be careful as they are 50/50 with corals.

btldreef

Originally Posted by chub
http:///forum/post/3177530
I think my 55g is to small to make it work. I was looking for 2 larger fish to go with the 2 clowns I have already
No, do not put two dwarfs in a 55G. There are far better suited fish for that size tank. Do one Dwarf and something else. Keep in mind the size each fish will be when it's full grown.
Most sites say that a Flame should be in a 55G on it's own, so two dwarfs, you're asking for a disaster.
Originally Posted by chub

http:///forum/post/3177574
Well a Flame and a Bio-Color are the 2 I would like to add
This is a good combo, just not in a 55G.
~As a general rule, if you're tank is smaller than a 125, you shouldn't keep two Dwarf Angels. Most will fight, especially if they're the same body type. A lot of people have success with two dwarfs in larger tank settings. We considered doing it in our 155G, but we have a very aggressive Coral Beauty and decided it was too much money to risk it. We might still try later on down the road for a Flame, but we'll see. The people that don't have success are the ones that usually try to throw two in smaller tanks.