Mixing salt...QUICK QUESTION :URGENT:

dapak83

my nitrate levels were up today up to 40ppm... so i started mixing the saltwater for a water change, its been about 10-11 hrs... u think its ok for me to do the water change now becuase i usualy let it mix for 24 hrs or more!!

thud

Originally Posted by dapak83
and also my ph is 8.0 i think thats normal rite or is it a little on the higher end?
your ph is fine.

dapak83

tank is about 2 yrs old... i got a few fishes in there and a cleanup crew....i ran out of the test so i got it done at the lfs... the only thing high was the nitrate at about 40 he said everything else was normal ( btw i didnt feed the fishes either today becasue the nitrate was geting high) ... i m doing a 10% water change.. and the salts been mixing for about 11 hrs now u think its fine for me to do the water cahnge.....

thud

An acceptable range for fish-only tanks is from 10 to 40 ppm.
Although fish-only tanks may run at much higher levels, sometimes with no ill effects, this is not recommended. In reef systems even a minor level of nitrate can cause damage as well as death to delicate corals, anemones and other invertebrates, as well as some crustaceans. The acceptable range of nitrate for reef tanks is 0.25 ppm, but not more than 5 ppm.
However you can achieve 0 nitrates with a denitrator. I cant post links but if you go to google and search "denitrator" and click the Go On, Get Your Nitrates Out. - Salt & Freshwater by "erbio"
send them an email, they might have one in stock...

dapak83

yeah i m gona do one tonight..... my main Qestion was .... is mixing the salt for 11 hrs enough .. or do i need to let it sit longer before the water is ready for the change...
i m use to runing 5 ppm or lower nitrates... i just added 2 fishes and i was feeding more for the past few days thats y the levels shot up!

grips

I would say that mixing salt for 11 hours is enough. It is generally recommended that you mix salt for at least 24 hours, but in an emergency situation, I've mixed salt for 15 minutes before pouring it in with no ill effects. Keep in mind, I'm not recommending you do this normally.
So, yes, I believe that mixing salt for 11 hours is enough.

earlybird

When you get your water tested at lfs ask them for exact numbers rather than thumbs up/thumbs down. Their definition of "normal" may be different than yours.

dapak83

i will def get number from now on... i let it sit for the night and did the wter change next day so it was about 24 hrs.. all is fine.. every one in tank is happy !!! woohoo... i will do another water change sat or sunday...
thanks every 1