Mixing salt

alopez

Iam just getting ready to add the water salt mix, but I had a question can you fill the tank with water and then add all of your salt? or should I premix it? One more, what is the difference between cured and uncured LR? and what do i want to start cycling? Thanks.........

timo

Mix it in a CLEAN 32g trash can, let it sit so you get an accurite sg, then add, I used a pump(quick). Mixing in the tank sounds messy and tougher to get exact.

yetex

cured liverock is rock that has been in a tank like a month or longer with no dieoff-doesn't have the nasty smell
uncured-has die off and stinks
if it is a new tank just get the uncured(it is usually alittle cheaper and it will help your tank cycle)
Plus if you are ordering liverock from the internet and it says its cured i wouldn't trust it because there will be die off during shipping.
So to start your cycle get uncured live rock and then put a raw piece of cocktail shrimp in it.

T

thomas712

Been my experience that starting out a new tank is the best time to start out with dry base rock. Then add your live rock. You save money for other things and hey, this is a hobby of patience anyway.
Baserock can be $1.00 per pound or more
liverock can be $6.00 per pound or more.
See the difference
Thomas

alopez

Thanks! That is what Iam doin I have a 100LBS of calcium carbonate base rock coming first part of next week(dont know if I will use all of it) and I am planning on buying 25-50lbs of live rock, hopefully it works out great! and saving money at the same time.

S

simm

I filled the tank half way with water then the rest with saltwater till I got my exact Sg I wanted. Worked well. Then I waited a few weeks to do anything else while it was airiating and circulating.