mixing salt

bill37

I think this is a crazy question but I will ask it anyway. I have been read a few post where some people said they let their mixed salt water sit for a while before adding it to their tank. What is the purpose of this??

gregvabch

maybe i'm a bad bad person but usually i don't let it sit for long. i am using ro/di water for my top offs though. i think it's just to make sure your salt dissolves properly, and in the event that you are using tap water, time for your dechlorinator to take effect.

nm reef

I normally let mine circulate for 24-48 hrs. The reason for my madness is to let the salt fully dissolve/insure the temp and PH reach the same levels as my display/and to let the fresh water airate before using it. If needed I can use it sooner but if time allows I prefer to let it circulate and stabalise before using it.

broomer5

Yep - what they said ... plus allowing the mixed saltwater to aerate for a period of time promotes gas exchanges in the saltwater and surrounding air to occur.
If you test a newly mixed batch of saltwater for pH, alkalinity and calcium ......... chances are very good that these levels will be different from a batch that's aerated overnight with a powerhead.
It's a CO2 gas thing primarily.