Mixing Softies / Lps / Sps

funkyman

I have always been under the impression that as long a proper distance is maintained between corals to prohibit physical contact, the subject corals could be kept together.
However, I recently learned that some soft familied corals actually release toxic chemicals into the water that can prove damaging to SPS and LPS even without contact.
I have been having problems with an acan colony, and some other LPS frags in my tank. My water paramaters are all good, and I've tried many corrective measures (relocation, running carbon, water changes, etc.....) without any luck.
Could it just be I have an un-ideal mix of corals? Here's what I have in a 120 reef ready with good flow:
acan wellsis
acan enchinadas
ricordea (florida and yuma)
zoos
chalices
xenia
palys
mushrooms (one colony of supermans)
blastos
monti cap frags (have never done very well)
I suppose my biggest concern would be the rics and mushrooms. I never considered they may be causing damage without having to touch anything.
The acan colony I'm most concerned about has been retracted for more than a month now. I've tried many different locations without any luck.
What does everybody think? Should I narrow it down? Does anyone else have these corals mixed?

whitey_028

I dont Think it should be a problem. I have seen many tanks with the same corals as you just listed with no problems but im not a scientist and dont realy know. But i have seen them all together before living.

teen

a lot of people mix hard and soft corals with no problems. ive got a mix of both in my 30 gallon with no problems. and your skimmer should be removing all the junk that the corals are releasing into the water.