Moderator attitudes...

richard rendos

I would like to ask all moderators to check their attitudes at the door. Just because you are a moderator of a forum doesn't mean you know more about it than others. I know of many members of this board that are just as, if not more, knowledgable than the mods. Try to reply with answers...not attitude. This forum is supposed to inform people not make them feel stupid.

richard rendos

I don't want to start a war either. I just want everyone (not just mods...even though I emphasize them because of their role here) to check their attitude. If someone asks a stupid question...just answer it...if you can't answer it without demeaning the person, just don't answer them. I would rather someone ask a stupid question than not to ask at all and make a stupid mistake. I wonder how many questions people have that they don't ask because of fear of getting flamed.

sammystingray

I assume you mean me? I also assume you mean the question about "morphing" corals? I think I tried to get a debate started.....why exactly do I have to act differently than the rest of you?? I simply stated my "theory" and I stated that it was my "theory" not fact.....perhaps you read me wrong, I was truly interested in what MACNA had to say when you mentioned it.....I don't get why you are mad?? I personally like you as a person and a long term member......just trying to debate a little....that is all.....not trying to offend anyone. I make it common practice to mention my thoughts are "opinions" or that I have "nothing to back it up"..........the entire subject is quite interesting.....would you have prefered I just said "no" and left it at that because that's what I thought, or can't we have a debate? There are basically NO facts to support either side on exactly how corals evolved, so it really was just thoughts......:( I didn't think I was being overly aggressive, and I truly appologize if you thought differently.....

richard rendos

sammy - believe me...this is not directed <font color = red>ONLY</font> to you or <font color = red>ONLY</font> that thread.

O

ohioballer

the one thing to remember that there are no stupid questions. I feel that that was a very original question and im sure that scientists have tried to do this they tamper with nature all the time (cloning ect.) the question was very original and very imaginative i give someone credit for thinking that much about something and to put themselves out there for the public to give there opinions on it. but this is only my opinion .

sammystingray

The mods are just members really.....I have been called a billion names while on this board, told I suck, and recently called a drunk...:D , not one person ever has been banned for it. I often just start typing like I'm sitting around BSing with old friends......often I don't even think about if anyone gets offended because I just figure you know I don't mean anything badly. Trust me, if I knew everything about the hobby and sealife, I wouldn't have to go into my crappy underpaid job tonight to work third shift tooling carbon and friction.....I'd write a book or something. Your name has been tossed around a few times for mod........wait until then, and you'll see the other side.:p :p

E

elan

hmmm... interesting... But i do hold Mods to a higher degree of expertise.... why would you be made a mod if you didnt know alot about the hobby... Every mod has their own level of expereince in something, and we all can benefit from it....
As far as attitudes, i would rather get good advice with attitude, than bad advice with a smile.... but thats just me.
But, as far as stupid questions..... here is a saying thats great.
"Dont be afraid to ask stupid questions, they are much easier to handle that stupid mistakes"

dattong

Originally posted by elan
As far as attitudes, i would rather get good advice with attitude, than bad advice with a smile.... but thats just me.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could get good advice with a smile?
I totally agree with Richard and DvSkin on this.

nm reef

Hmmmm...just got in from the paying job and found this little thread up top...not sure what happened while I was away and really don't care much. From time to time folks will get irrate with each other. With the diversity of members on our forum its bound to happen every once in a while.
I would like to address the following from Richard Rendos:
Just because you are a moderator of a forum doesn't mean you know more about it than others. I know of many members of this board that are just as, if not more, knowledgable than the mods.
I can't remember the last time I saw a more factual statement made in this forum!!! I do not in any way consider myself experiencied in this hobby...I have learned and continue to learn from the wealth of knowledge/experience possessed by our membership. That is the vital basis of this forum...the wealth of experience and knowledge that is freely shared!!! As a moderator I feel my primary role is moderation...simply keeping the peace and attempting to maintain a civil /positive attitude and atmosphere.
For the most part I do agree that a negative or demeaning attitude should be addressed...but that situation is not in any way limited to myself or my fellow mods!!! We are no more or no less than the general membership...and I for one willfully acknowledge that there are those that have massive more experience & knowledge than I do...so now I'll slide down off the soap box and go see what else has happened here at what I consider to be the best lil reef related forum on the web!!!!!:cool:
Peace ya'all & happy reefkeeping!!!

What exactly is a "stupid" question?
It may seem stupid to someone with more time in the hobby and thus more experience, but to the person asking the offending question it is something that he/she has not been in it long enough to learn the answer to yet without asking.
There are many questions I don't ask here. I use the search feature and answer my own question or rely on other valuable sources of information for answers to my "stupid" questions.
We are all very well versed in different things. You all may be excellent plumbers or electricians or carpenters or scientists or computer experts, but new to the hobby of marine aquariums. Or you may be a very experienced reef keeper. I am very skilled at my field...emergency nursing and can discuss it in depth. I am also extremely well versed in breeding, raising and training gaited horses. I can even discuss Mercedes Benz's fairly intelligently since we just bought two of them. But the hobby of building and maintaining a stable flourishing marine environment is new to me (I've only been at it for just shy of 2 years) and since I want to do it right (old motto...do it right or not at all) I ask alot of questions and do alot of reading. My questions may sound stupid to many of you, but for me it is not.
A little patience and tolerance may be in order here. Better the stupid question than no question, the latter of which can cause undo death to the very marine livestock we try so hard to care for.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
All of us came here seeking a forum for knowledge and sharing of our mutal interest--the marine hobby. Those who mod here have been "appointed" --for lack of a better word--for having a degree of experience but also because the BB owners felt that we could benefit the overall "running" of the BB. Even so, we are still members, with opinions and our own individual way of interacting with everyone else. "Attitude" is relative and a common human feature in ALL of us. I suppose it just depends on "how much attitude" and whether it is worth complaining about. Everyone has attitude at some point or another...ie: this thread.
Frankly, I read the morph thread and I just don't know why anyone would consider anything said there to "have attitude". In any case, comments and concerns here noted.
Thanks.

O

ohioballer

i know how you feel sammy i have to go to work in like 4 hours and sit there and run and setup machines will on first shift this jerk of any engineer that sux at writing programs tells us we arent doing our jobs but he cant figure out speeds and feeds i wish i would just get motivated enough and just start a computer company with the the knowledge i have then have all the aquarium stuff i need and want. But since i have been on this board i have been treated with total respect and people have made me feel as an equal when i have an opinion so thanks to everyone that has helped me with my questions everyone one here has alot to offer each other and i feel the SWF has built a great board for us all to express our knowledge and our opinions

jumpfrog

Very "healthy" discussion. You know, even families have disagreements but at the end of the day they have something in common that forms the bond.
This board has probably saved more lives than could ever be counted. There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't check in just to see what's happening. Don't always have something to say but I check in just to see what's up.
I've found all the mods do their best to make this a great place. Does everybody have a "great day" everyday? No! But on the whole it's a great place to be.
At least from lil' ol' me. Thanks for the efforts and the same to all the contributors. For those of you asking the "dumb" questions. PLEASE continue to ask. The "family" really does care.

E

elan

Originally posted by golfish
elan, being a mod has nothing to do with reef related expertise, it has to do with moderating. The mods here are a great bunch but...........;)

Yes, NM reef covered that one..
But, I still hold their opinion a little more credible than most others on the board.. There are also many other members on this board that i treat more credibly than others....
But in all, i enjoy any and all opinions and experiences from anyone.

krunk

Originally posted by tangsfornuttin
Kidding ---- Really - I'm kidding... Don't whip out the kartman as a cop, jpeg!!

RESPECT MY ATHORITY

harrysreef

I've been visiting these boards for months now and have never felt I was treated poorly and all my questions weren't the best. I post some knowing the answer just hoped someone knew something new to try or had a better experience than myself. Our tanks are not always run the same, yet you see pics that show something is being done right so you ask to learn a new way or confirm you are on the right track.
I personally need to get better at coral ids. My lfs calls them one thing and I find here they are something else. A bonus is my typing is improving too.
My rambling leads this me to say this to all that answer my questions and comments...Thanks and if attitude is attached I assume you just met my boss:)

chinnyr

I'm glad this came up.I went away for a while because I saw some things that did'nt make it sound like a friendly atmosphere anymore.Not pointing any fingers either.There was just a thread that stuck out way too much and belittled some posters.Then,an all out flame war ensued....so I left for a while.Anyway,now I am back and hope things will be great for everybody!:cool:

ophiura

Originally posted by mebigloser
Anyone human here?

Sadly, not me...thanks.

Going to crawl back under my rock now :(
Said before, will be said again, the problem on these sorts of forums is that it is often imposssible to determine someone's tone. Many of us spout off as if chatting over a beer, and don't realize that we are typing and the written word (especially if it is often abbreviated with things implied) can be difficult to interpret someone's attitude. One of the things that is probably characteristic of all the mods is that we aren't afraid of a debate, and perhaps that sort of 'attitude' is what makes people recognize a name. But the debate is not intended to be snobbish, just perhaps heated, and I know all points are welcome. But, for example, I know I have a long day at work like most, and often don't take the time to insert enough emoticons or whatever. Just type out an answer without much hoopla, and that can be taken as attitude because it is 'dry.' But that is not the intent. I think everyone just needs to sit back and before escalating an argument, really clarify if an insult was meant. I've seen plenty of non-mods use language where the insult was pretty clear, so this is not simply a mod issue.