Modification (I guess) for my 125g Possiblity

mike22cha

Well on my 125g AGA aquarium on the top there is a 2' wide piece of glass that's built in the aquarium. It is for so that the hinged top can go on top and fit nicely. Anyways it takes up precious space where I could put some other HOB type filtration, so I was wondering if I could break it off without hurting the tank? And how would I do that? I'll get pics Wensday night of the top.

michaeltx

bad idea thats a brace that keeps the front and back of the tank in place removing it will cause a bowing effect and will eventually shatter the front and rear panels.
Mike

reefmate75

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2521281
bad idea thats a brace that keeps the front and back of the tank in place removing it will cause a bowing effect and will eventually shatter the front and rear panels.
Mike
he is correct...that pice of glass might be where the top glass covers sit but its also there to keep it from bowing out, if you fill that tank up with water without that brace the middle will be about 1/2" wider and sooner or later it will bust
now if you want that brace out of there you can make a eruo brace which means a VERY thick rim that runs all the way around your tank on the top rim
but if i was you i would just leave it, sounds like you have a little brace, on my 135, and my 100 gallon that brace pice is 2' wide and is a pain in the but to clean under

mike22cha

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2521281
Mike
Ok I was wondering if that'd happen. Realy wish they made the brace smaller. Takes up a whole lot of room which stinks on an aquarium that's not reef ready.

mike22cha

Originally Posted by reefmate75
http:///forum/post/2521299
he is correct...that pice of glass might be where the top glass covers sit but its also there to keep it from bowing out, if you fill that tank up with water without that brace the middle will be about 1/2" wider and sooner or later it will bust
now if you want that brace out of there you can make a eruo brace which means a VERY thick rim that runs all the way around your tank on the top rim
but if i was you i would just leave it, sounds like you have a little brace, on my 135, and my 100 gallon that brace pice is 2' wide and is a pain in the but to clean under
Mine is 2' wide too and is a pain. Can't reach any rocks or anything below it.

reefmate75

opps thought you said 2" hahaha sorry and yeah it blows *** but it has to be there enless you want to fork out some major cash to have some glass milled with the proper grove so you could place that around the rim, wouyld cost alot though as the glass woul dhave to be real thick, im talking in the 3"X3" range

mike22cha

Yeah I guess I'm going to leave as is for now. If I had the money I'd get two pumps and a 50g for a sump.

michaeltx

that would be your best bet. I had a 100 gallon with that foot brace and hated it!! I will be watching when I get another larger tank not to get one with that size brace or look for a euro type bracing system.
Mike