mods and others (golfish)

sandman12

I have a 55g with 30g long sump/fuge (about 20g of what). I have an ASM G2 skimmer, mag 7 external return pump, and a Volicity T4 external closed loop.
My lights where off all day today (nothing in the tank yet) and still my temp is a 85 right now!!! the house temp is at 77. Any idea where the heat it comig from. onlything i can think of is the sedra 3500 running the G2. Something just isnt adding up.
James

golfish

Originally posted by sandman12
a Volicity T4 external closed loop.

From what I have read this might be the problem. Have you double checked the temp with another thermometer?
No worries, will figure it out.
Go get a fan and blow it over the sump.

nm reef

Very strange indeed....I don't see anything that would raise the temp that much. Are you confident in the accuracy of the temp?:thinking:

sandman12

its a little temp dig thermo.. It has been dropped a few times :) but i think i trust it.......
The tank has been running 85.1 with the air on for about 3-4 hours now. I turned the T4 off before my shower and in 20min with the T4 off it dropped .2 deg and counting. Iam guessing ill just have to add some fans.
Golfish , u quoted my T4 closed loop as "this might be the problem" What do u mean? what have u heard about them? When i bought it i was going for a quiet pump and a quiet one it is indeed. When i bought it i also thought an external pump couldnt add heat to a tank. I didnt check to see how hott these pumps get . I cant leave my hand pushing down on the pump for more than about 7sec. Its like a MH Ballast. I have some test iam going to run tomorrow.
James

squidd

Feel the T-4 motor..generally they run cool enough to hold your hand on for 15 seconds without burning...
If it's warmer than that...take the pump apart and clean it...
Probably a calcium buildup on the impeller which causes internal friction and can sometimes add heat to the tank...
A free spinniing impeller will allow enough waterflow to keep the pump (and tank) cool...
I've been running a T-4 on my FOWLR tank (low calcium) for over a year with NO heat related problems...
I been running a T-3 on the reef (high calcium) and have to clean it every 4-6 weeks...

nm reef

...for what its worth I've heard that the digital temp you use can sometimes be faulty. I run one on my reef and on a clients reef...never had a problem with either myself....but I have heard of them being inaccurate. You may want to check its accuracy.....:thinking:

sandman12

I will check it against my Ranco controller. Good news squid, thats what i like to hear :). I will check the pump tomorrow. SO far the temp has dropped from 85.1 to 84.7 w/o the T4 running.

another issue with the digi thermometers is that if the main unit is within a foot or so of an electronic ballast, the frequencies don't mix and can really mess up the thremo readings. Just a thought . . .

sandman12

Ran some test today: (pump=closed loop pump)
79.4-no pump or lights
82.2- with pump
84.0-with pump and lights
All temps r with the house air on at 77. I guess i will just have to add fans.
Thanks
James

flatzboy

I think 2 of those cheapo walmart clip on fans should lower it down to like 80-82. I'd clip one on canopy and have it blow across the water and one on your sump and have it blow acroos the water to.:D