MODS: We need a sticky entitled "Tiny bugs on glass"...

I'm sure my thread had something to do with this.
but to explain my "posting before searching" I have had many tanks before and Have known about copepods isopods and amphipods, but I never really took the time to learn their features and how they behaved. So it kinda took me by surprise when I wake up and see my entire backing of the DT COVERED with thousands of bugs.
But as far as the new people asking questions about things already covered, I don't think it's any harm done to the forums or anything else.
I mean what are we on the threads for anyways? If some one is active in a certain thread and you log in and see that it has been replaced by a newer thread, maybe from a newcomer asking a question about a common subject, then just go into your subscribed threads and continue on.
There are many times when I will explore a thread with a common title like "how much light" "will this work" "how much of this" "how much of that" and find out that I learn something new...maybe it didn't pertain to me, but I still learn something new.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the stickies are not helpful,...they are a God-sent. I am just saying that it doesn't hurt to ask a question if you are new, I'm sure not only will the question be happily answered but a sticky will be linked to further help the inquirers.
This post is not directed to a certain person but its more of a general response to this thread in general.

metweezer

If everything was posted as a sticky we would have no social intercourse. And we all know how much fun intercourse is

michaeltx

you exactly right Egregious thats what makes this board one of the best IMO. I also understand that some people get tired of answering the same questions over and over and instead of being helpful some come off kinda harsh about the search button. stickies are a great thing thats why lioncraze has setup up this thread https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/264597/a-list-of-extremely-helpful-threads-for-all-hobbyists that outlines many write ups that have been helpful instead of a million and on stickies that get lost. why I threw out a write up on these or anything else that you would like to know the answer or think others need to know do a write up post it and the mods will take a look at it and if it hits the right information and is well written it can be included and or archived for others to read and see. * this is not gauranteed though*
some criteria if you are thinking of doing a write up.

• Contact a myself or another mod we dont want 5 people working on the same thing at one time.

• Full information with pics if available and descriptions

• Detailed information that is not plagerized it has to original works.

• It doesnt have to be a school essay type thing so have fun with it.

• Remember that people are reading the write up not PHD's and marine biologists so keep the terms simple and in lamens terms.
    Remember that not everyone that will read it have had Saltwater tanks and may not know some of the things so point to other threads where the info can be found is helpful
    Remeber that links outside this website need to be checked to see if they are not violating the linkage rules of SWF.com
    Lastly Have FUN.
    So does anyone want to do a write up Shoot me a PM with what you would like to do a write up on?
I will probably do a nother post asking if anyone wants to do a write up aswell.
Mike

natclanwy

I think there is some excellent info in the achrives and the stickies already but it is difficult to sort through them sometimes especially the hitchhikers threads. You end up with 4 different windows open trying to get there and its hard to keep track of where you have been and where you need to go to next. It would be great if we could figure out a way to consolidate this info and organize it so its easier to read.

michaeltx

yeah lioncraze did the great sticky consolidating alot of threads into one area that are good for people to read through. check it out it may help in the windows thing.

natclanwy

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2556586
yeah lioncraze did the great sticky consolidating alot of threads into one area that are good for people to read through. check it out it may help in the windows thing.
That was the thread I was talking about it looks really good to start with but gets confusing when you start clicking on the links try going to the "A list of common hitchhikers" thread opens a new window then you have the choice of hitchhikers part 1 and 2. If you pick part 1 it opens another new window and there is a list and each item on the list opens a new window.
I have been around here for a while and I'm pretty computer savy but I still have difficulty navigating through the threads and all of the windows to find what I need, so for someone who is new to the website and maybe not so savy with the computer it would be extremely difficult.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/2556709
That was the thread I was talking about it looks really good to start with but gets confusing when you start clicking on the links try going to the "A list of common hitchhikers" thread opens a new window then you have the choice of hitchhikers part 1 and 2. If you pick part 1 it opens another new window and there is a list and each item on the list opens a new window.
I have been around here for a while and I'm pretty computer savy but I still have difficulty navigating through the threads and all of the windows to find what I need, so for someone who is new to the website and maybe not so savy with the computer it would be extremely difficult.
EXACTLY, so they should just ask. If some do not want to reply, there are many of us that are more than happy to.

K

kikithemermaid

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2553962
If the LFS gave you a dragonet, chances are she was already on her way out. No way she died from starvation in a single day. Course there may have been other issues like new tank syndrome involved here, but starvation was not the issue.
Never thought of that...thanks it makes me feel less guilty.