MODS: We need a sticky entitled "Tiny bugs on glass"...

uberlink

...that explains about amphipods and copepods. This is an extremely common question among new members, and most don't dig into the existing posts before posting. Just a thought...

grim_reefer

dont need a sticky.. need a pop-up before they are able to post their first post that explains what they are... it will save bandwidth for the server.. the posts are easy to "ignore" but a pop-up that appears before they can post for the first time explaining the search function would end up quite useful.. just my idea anyways..

michaeltx

nope if you dont want to answer common questions dont open that thread and when you do please refrain from posts insulting the poster its uncalled for and wont be tolerated!
if you want to be helpful in those post point them in the direction of the archives where there answer can be found or simply answer the question thats what makes this a community.
Mike

michaeltx

better yet if one of you guys want to do a write up on these apon the reveiw of the mods it could be added to the archives then you can point people towards your write up on the subject.
whatcha say?
Mike

grim_reefer

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2553541
better yet if one of you guys want to do a write up on these apon the reveiw of the mods it could be added to the archives then you can point people towards your write up on the subject.
whatcha say?
Mike
i say that this is how you got your 9000+ posts.. answering too many questions on the same subject, lol..
and as far as "insulting" a poster.. not sure where that plays into this post... where is there an insult above? it was simply a suggestion from a fellow reefer, an idea.. without ideas and suggestions, the world would probably still be living in caves and eating by campfire..

michaeltx

not at all I am talking about a previous post!
and as far as my posts I have been here for 7 years so my post count isnt that high for the length of time I have been on here.
Mike

grim_reefer

i would have more, if i would stay active and remember my password, lol
cant even seem to remember my previous names on here.. even tried by email.. perhaps they cleared out some non-active names, i dunno..
nice signature btw ;) lol

michaeltx

there have been a few board upgrades some of the older non used names may not have moved over to the new formats.
Mike

uberlink

I really wasn't trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I remember the first time I discovered pods in my tank. It scared me, and I posted something like "what are these bugs in my tank"? I now know that a thousand people had answered that very question before I asked it, and I've seen (and often answered) the identical post many times since then. I think it's a common enough question, and one often asked when people are nervous about this frightening new development, to warrant a sticky at the top of the board.
I'd be more than happy to write a sticky It would go something like this:
Subject: What are these little bugs in my tank?
Answer: Don't panic! If you're seeing small white bugs on the glass, or larger shrimp-like critters running around in your live rocks, you are probably seeing copepods, isopods, or amphipods. These are almost always completely harmless. In fact, they are a sign of a healthy tank that is starting to establish itself, and they may one day provide a source of food for blennies, dragonets, and other tank inhabitants. Do a search on the boards for copepods, amphipods, isopods, or--simply--pods. You'll learn everything you never knew you wanted to know about them. Welcome to the hobby!

michaeltx

there was another reason why I said that.
but a write up wold have to be more detailed than that to even be considered for sticky and archive or even added to lions post.
Mike

t316

uberlink;2553676 said:
I really wasn't trying to be disrespectful to anyone. QUOTE]
I know you were not trying to be disreptful of anyone else, but.....your thread comes out 4 minutes after a newbie starts a thread in the same section asking about 'tiny bugs on glass'.

We all know what you meant. And the newbie is no different from you (as you just described) when you were new asking the same question. Personally, I still enjoy the one-on-one response to the most basic questions, verses spending an hour sifting thru archives of who knows what.

t316

Originally Posted by uberlink
http:///forum/post/2553717
If I caused any offense, I really apologize. Absolutely not intended.
Sorry, I may have come across the wrong way. I agree with the following: we are all tired of seeing the same post over and over, and newbies (including me...I'm alway's learning something), should always research archives first.
You meant no harm intent. I just like talking to humans when trying to solve my problems (kind of like getting a recording on the phone with a cable co.). But like Mike said, most of them I just scan over and don't even respond to .

K

kikithemermaid

Originally Posted by uberlink
http:///forum/post/2553676
Answer: Don't panic! If you're seeing small white bugs on the glass, or larger shrimp-like critters running around in your live rocks, you are probably seeing copepods, isopods, or amphipods. These are almost always completely harmless. In fact, they are a sign of a healthy tank that is starting to establish itself, and they may one day provide a source of food for blennies, dragonets, and other tank inhabitants. Do a search on the boards for copepods, amphipods, isopods, or--simply--pods. You'll learn everything you never knew you wanted to know about them. Welcome to the hobby!

That sounds awesome! Wish I had known that dragonets need pods to survive...the new guy at my LFS gave me one as my first fish and she died a day later.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by kikithemermaid
http:///forum/post/2553814
That sounds awesome! Wish I had known that dragonets need pods to survive...the new guy at my LFS gave me one as my first fish and she died a day later.

If the LFS gave you a dragonet, chances are she was already on her way out. No way she died from starvation in a single day. Course there may have been other issues like new tank syndrome involved here, but starvation was not the issue.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by uberlink http:///forum/post/2553676
I really wasn't trying to be disrespectful to anyone. I remember the first time I discovered pods in my tank. It scared me, and I posted something like "what are these bugs in my tank"? I now know that a thousand people had answered that very question before I asked it, and I've seen (and often answered) the identical post many times since then. I think it's a common enough question, and one often asked when people are nervous about this frightening new development, to warrant a sticky at the top of the board.
Out of curiosity, and I know this is just a rough draft, but why would you post a sticky telling others to do a search for pods? If a sticky is going to be written it should be complete and have the correct information. For example, isopods and amphipods are NOT almost always harmless. There is information on this site that you can point people to if you want to. Here are a couple
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/189204/iotm-copepods-amphipods-isopods
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/182661/amphipods-copopods-isopods
It is best to simply answer their questions for them though and then tell them where they can find more information on the subject.

uberlink

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2554460
Out of curiosity, and I know this is just a rough draft, but why would you post a sticky telling others to do a search for pods? If a sticky is going to be written it should be complete and have the correct information. For example, isopods and amphipods are NOT almost always harmless. There is information on this site that you can point people to if you want to. Here are a couple
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=189204
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=182661
It is best to simply answer their questions for them though and then tell them where they can find more information on the subject.

Totally agree. I just meant it as an example of what something might look like. It would take a few hours to put together something that would work as a sticky. My only point, and again I meant no offense by this, was that the discovery of pods is one of those sufficiently frightening moments that it might deserve its own sticky.

T

tizzo

But you all are assuming they are always pods...These were ALL on my glass.

sepulatian

I agree Tizzo. In many of the threads people, no one in particular, often say that they are copepods without seeing a picture or getting an accurate description. Uberlink, if you feel passionately about this and write up a decent thread containing the various possibilities and pictures of what one might find on their glass, the mods may consider it.