Molted CBS

crazy8

My Coral Banded molted (I hope). My CBS has seemed pretty active for the 2+weeks I have had it, but this morning he was just sitting there.
My question is when it molts, does it look like a complete duplicate of the original with antennae attached and all. And if so, what does the little sucker look like without his shell. I haven't pulled him out yet, but I saw no trace of the live CBS in there. I am sure he is hiding (if alive). How long do they take before they have their new body?

beaslbob

when my CBS first molted, I thought is old shell was him. I later found him hiding out in another location. Now it seems to happen avery 4 weeks or so. Yes he is a complete copy of himself with the center body section clearer than before. And of course, he is bigger ofter the molt. Just one of the interesting things that happens im my tank

T

thomas712

Agreed, CBS, Emerald Crabs and others will look exactly like they died, leaving a perfect replica of themselfs behind, many just leave the exoskeleton to dissolve, some take it out, up to you.
Thomas

hey, the first time anything molted on me, it was my scarllette hermit.....I was like......I have another one? haha....but my CBS tends to eat his own molt, greedy little booger

crazy8

Have to admit, I was worried he was dead, but I found him hiding in a rock tonight with just his claws sticking out. Sneaky little sucker too.
I pulled the molt out as my cleaner crew is supposed to arrive in a couple days.