Monos

morales67

ok, so i really like these sebea monos but dont know much about them. this lfs had the 2 monos in a freshwater aquarium, but ive always seen them in saltwater or brackish water environments. this really confuses me. the person at the lfs told me to use regular aquarium salt, not the kind of salt in saltwater aquariums, this is what confuses me because i didnt know there was a difference. these monos were in a freshwater aquarium with other regular freshwater fish (some kind of stripped barb, and catfish) and i assume they have been there for many weeks because they were on clearance. (The store was petsmart) someone please tell me how this works

darknes

I've never heard of a saltwater monos, but I could be wrong. From what I know, they're either freshwater or brackish fish.

dogstar

From the 2 doctors' website........
The Mono Sebae is also known as the African Moony and comes from the estuaries and mangroves of the waters of West Africa. It is diamond shaped with a larger anal fin than the Mono Argentus. The Mono Sebae is silver with a black line covering the eyes and a line from the tip of the dorsal fin to the tip of the anal fin.
The Mono Sebae grows very large and requires an aquarium of at least 50 gallons. The smaller specimens can be kept in freshwater, but as they grow and mature, the water should gradually be converted to a higher salinity. A substrate consisting of aragonite sand or gravel is preferred. Provide plants and rocks that thrive in brackish water.
It is known that the Mono Sebae spawns in the saltwater of the ocean, but the difference between the sexes and their breeding habits are unknown. Gradual change from brackish to saltwater will maximize the coloration and the health of the fish as they become older.
In the wild, the Mono Sebae eats large amounts of vegetable matter. Provide them with dried seaweed, lettuce, brine shrimp, and a quality flake food.