Monti Cap becoming a bowl

jpc763

When I got this purple monti cap frag, it was flat

Now it is bowl shaped

And because of that, it collects detritus

Anything I can do? I use a turkey baster daily to keep it clear but it collects that much over night.

jpc763

Originally Posted by otley 1975
http:///forum/post/2638426
Move it were there is more flow. Other than that you'll have to turkey bast it everyday.
Well it is very close to the powerhead so it gets lots of flow...

Other than that, turkey baster every day.
So do they normally turn up like that?
J

michaeltx

Yes they do grow as a bowl shape and as the start new ridges it will grow in the same pattern type. as it gets larger the BOWL shape will distort though and start to become more jagged looking but still in the bowl type shape.
Mike

fishieness

it looks like it is located behind the powerhead? In which case, even though it is close, it probably isnt close enough to the actual stream.

jpc763

Actually, It is placed diagonally in front of the PH. The PH has a "flo" attachment which rotates the flow out. This guy gets LOTS of flow and it is growing like a weed!

viper_930

I think the point that they're trying to make is that detritus shouldn't be collecting on the cap if it's getting a lot of flow.
You may also consider using filter bags at the end of your overflow to catch some of the detritus.

jpc763

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
http:///forum/post/2639345
I think the point that they're trying to make is that detritus shouldn't be collecting on the cap if it's getting a lot of flow.
You may also consider using filter bags at the end of your overflow to catch some of the detritus.
OK. When I placed the frag it was flat. The flow was diagonal onto it's surface. Since mounting it, the frag has grown an edge that now is almost perpendicular to the flow. That creates a current that pulls the detritus into the bottom of the edge.
So, I am not sure moving it will solve the problem. The coral will just grow another edge to create the current as it causes a flow across the polyps which allows them to eat.
Anyway, I will continue to blow it off with the turkey baster. Oh and my overflow has a filter so it is not coming from there.

twolf323

It almost looks like Idaho Grape with the blueish polyps. If it is and you move it lower in the tank it will turn even darker purple.