Montipora colour changing

Itzb

Hi

I bought 2 montipora frags from the lfs, when I bought them the owner told me to place them high up in my tank as they need high light, I’ve literally had them for 2 days and the edges seem to be turning really pale compared to the rest of the coral, I’m not really sure what’s happening, I get my water tested at the shop and he didn’t mention anything wrong with my sample?

novahobbies

Hi

I bought 2 montipora frags from the lfs, when I bought them the owner told me to place them high up in my tank as they need high light, I’ve literally had them for 2 days and the edges seem to be turning really pale compared to the rest of the coral, I’m not really sure what’s happening, I get my water tested at the shop and he didn’t mention anything wrong with my sample?
Yeah, that's poor advice. First of all, it depends on your lighting scheme. What are you using for your tank lights?

Montis as a rule do NOT like high light, they do best in mid-level lighting conditions. When they get pale like that it's usually a sign that something about their surroundings is off. But people here can help more if we know more about the type of lights you're using.

Finally, you'll find you're better off doing your own water testing at home. Keep a log of the main chemistry. If you're keeping corals, you need to track nitrate, phosphate, calcium, alkalinity, and occasionally magnesium...in addition to the usual tests of ammonia, nitrite, pH, salinity, and temp. There are other things to test for as well, but those are the basics that should really be observed weekly - twice monthly.