Montipora question

jaymz

I recently picked up a half dollar sized peice of red monti cap. I started it low and moved it up the tank over a couple days to a spot where i glued it down as close to the light as i can get. I have noticed it has browned out and a a couple spots on the edges has bleached.
May this be from adjusting to my tank? Will it recover on its own? Should i do something for it?
This is my first sps, i have read a ton about them but actually dealing with them is another thing.
Thanks in advance

steelytom

What kind of lighting do you have, and how old are the bulbs. Montipora tends to brown out under low light. Direct flow will also sometimes bleach it.

gatorwpb

whats your alk, calc and pH at?
Also, what lighting was it under before and what is it under now? A couple days may not have been enough to light acclimate it if your lights are stronger that what it was used to.
Browing can be from excess nutrients or low light. Bleaching can be from light shock. Tissue necrosis (RTN or STN) can be from low alk or pH or too much direct flow.
A pic would help too.

texasmetal

Just let it adjust. As long as your perimeters are in check it will recover and adapt.
Monti's are hard to kill.

jaymz

Sorry I had full intentions of mentioning i had T-5's the bulbs are less then a month old. My pH never leaves 8.4 ( i feel lucky) calcium hovers betwen 400 and 450.
I looks a bit better today. I gets plenty of flow but not direct. It was under metal halides, but its wasnt near enough watts for the size of tank. The bleaching could have already been there its just the very edge.
Ill just keep an eye on it.
Thanks again

sea n life

i have four red montis and every edge on all of mine are white its new growth i dont think you have anythingto worry about

spanko

Yup that is how monti plates grow, the very edges are white and color up over time as the coral gets bigger.