Montis?

rldavisou

I've seen quite a few people who have had luck with monti's under pc lights. I've got 196 watts over a 30 long. If I place them as high in the tank as possible (a few inches under the surface), will they live? Can I expect them to keep their color if they do survive?

mscarpena

Should be fine. I had montis under 4 x110 vho in the mid pstion kept colors good and they did grow, but not too fast.

teen

vho's and pc's are not comparable imo. you could try them under the pc's, but its gunna be more difficult for them to keep their colors and thrive.

turningtim

If you're going to give it a go try a orange cap frag. Put up in the tank and see what happens......

rldavisou

I really want a red cap frag...is that one closely related to the orange ones? I'm thinking about saving for an inexpensive halide fixture I found, but that would still a minimum of six months out. I'm a waiter, so everything I do in this hobby takes a loooonnnggg time to save up for.

turningtim

Before you go with MH, you should check some T-5 fixtures. I keep a number of SPS and clams under T-5 and it works well. Less expensive than MH, less heat and less cost to run (less watts).
Not sure if there is a real difference between red and orange just a color variation maybe. Not sure though.
Heres a pic of mine. Was a nickel size frag 7-8 months ago.....

turningtim

idk, maybe 5-5.5" The frag I got was about half the size of that "leaf" coming out the left. Kinda by itself.....

rldavisou

Looks really nice. I just bought my PC light about a month ago though, and I couldn't afford halides. I had to rush and buy a light because the ballast went out on my old PC fixture and my softies were dying. I really wish I could have saved up longer and buy a halide, but I did manage to go from a single bulb to a double bulb fixture. That was all I could afford at the time.