Moonlights

cagrn

I was told they are just for us to be able to see what is going on and that they aren't necessary. I went out and bought one anyway after I put my pajama cards in the tank. They are supposed to be nocturnal feeders. Since adding the moonlight, I could go a good part of the day without seeing the cards, but once the light is on they are out and cruising.
I have also noticed that my gorgonia filters more at night, and has grown farily consistently since the moonlight went in.
My tank is a FOWLR plus a 1 yellow gorgonian. I haven't moved up to better lighting yet, so I really attribute the differences to the moonlight. FYI, I only have a single 3/4 watt Aqualight accesory model.
Hope this helps.

dc2mlbsm

Originally Posted by cagRN
I was told they are just for us to be able to see what is going on and that they aren't necessary. I went out and bought one anyway after I put my pajama cards in the tank. They are supposed to be nocturnal feeders. Since adding the moonlight, I could go a good part of the day without seeing the cards, but once the light is on they are out and cruising.
I have also noticed that my gorgonia filters more at night, and has grown farily consistently since the moonlight went in.
My tank is a FOWLR plus a 1 yellow gorgonian. I haven't moved up to better lighting yet, so I really attribute the differences to the moonlight. FYI, I only have a single 3/4 watt Aqualight accesory model.
Hope this helps.

do you have it on the aqualight or on the tank?

merredeth

I love the moonlights because I get to see the nocturnal critters roam about the rank.
Also, the fish have a little light so when they cruise the tank, they don't bump into a rock and damage their scales or eyes.
Personally, I also believe the moonlight issue is a must have for any aquarium. There is just too much nighttime activity I'd be missing.
Denise M.

cagrn

Originally Posted by dc2mlbsm
do you have it on the aqualight or on the tank?
At this point I mounted it to the hood that came with the tank. It has a special aqualight clip, and oddly enough, I went back later and checked - the lights the guy at my LFS recommended I step up to next are aqualights. Coincidence :notsure: ? Maybe, since I bought the moonlight at a different LFS store in the area.
I see you have a small tank too ( mine is a 26 gal bowfront ). I just took the mounting screw and put it upwards through the hood, right in the middle of the tank. ( The part of the hood that lifts for access. )
I have definately not regretted the purchase; it was only 20 bucks.

renogaw

moonlights also help with reproduction inside your tank. i was told to keep my moonlights on for 2 weeks, off for 2 weeks. basically copying the moon cycle.

gsd

On for two off for two is not even close to duplicating the lunar cycle....There is certianly much more involed in the process like intensity duration and its not on a 2 week cycle. Lunar lights are for aesthetic purposes only, do not benefit the tanks inhabitants one bit, hust your personal view of the tank at night

cagrn

If I had the correct aqualight fixture, it would clip right to the ballast. Some light setups come with moonlights included.

cgrant

depends what type you get, some come built into the system like my coralife aqualights and some come as a kit that you have to mount with brackets.
If you already have lights then your best bet would prob be buying a kit that you mount onto existing lights.
thelebos has some nice lights, i had them until i got my coralife lights and recommend them!