Mooving out of Country! HELP

netopr

HI, I currently live in Puerto Rico but next month I am moving to Orlando, FL since I recently graduated from engineering and I cant find a job locally.
Anyways, I have a 29G here with live rock, fish and inverts that I would like to keep at least the fish and inverts.
This is my plan:
1. In Orlando, my parents have a 10g tank that they set up with salt mix and some "live rock" that I sent them. I told them to buy a 10G salt bag and use distilled water which they already did.
2. Next I told them to introduce a raw shrimp in the tank to cycle the tank. And remove it after 4 days.
3. Then a month after, I will carry my fish/inverts/sand on bags and transport them with me on the airplane. The traveling time from Puerto Rico to Orlando its about 2-1/2 hours. So the fish will be on bags around 4-5 hours.
4. Temporarily the fish will stay on the 10 galon untill my 29 galon tank arrives from ups and cycles for about a month.
Here are my questions:
Is this a good idea?
Should I ship the fish instead of carrying them?
How long can the fish be in a 10G?
How many fish can I keep on the 10G ?
list:
A. Pair of false perc (1 female, 1 male)
B. 1 Royal gramma
C. 1 yellow Watchman Goby
D. 2 green Chromis (small)
E. 25 hermit Crabs
F. 1 Coral Banded shrimp
G. 2 small serpent starfish
H. 1 small brittle starfish
I. 1 emerald crab
Most of these have a sentimental value because they were gifts from special persons so, trade ins are not on my list, except for D, G, H, E
I know its risky but I really like to keep these.
THANKS

jonthefishguy

First, since you are in puerto rico, you have to find out whether you can take live animals into the US from your country. Most of the time even though they were sent there or originaly from there, customs may not allow it to cross. Even though it is a US territory, some items cannot be transported without documentation showing exactly what it is and its classification. It all depends on your customs dept in your area. When I order coral or livestock from other countries, I have to pay permit fees to allow them in this country. This is called CITES permits. You may not have to pay the permit, however they may not allow you to bring them with you.....check before you take them to the airport and find out that you cant and all they will do it toss it in the trash.

renogaw

it may be ok for the month, but whatever you can do to reduce the bioload would obvously be better. I had all of my fish in a 20 gallon qt for about 5 days, and if you look at my list thats a lot of fish...
the ONLY thing i disagree with though is the use of distilled water. the distilling process usually uses copper vessels, and that copper is insantely detrimental to any invert/coral.

stdreb27

Man that sounds like more trouble than it is worth. I may be cold but gotta ask yourself, is it worth the risk of getting your fish up here? VS finding them a good home in puerto rico. A living fish in a different tank to me would be better than the risk of moving a fish and it dieing.
Oh if you are in the oil business, my company is desperately looking for engineers.

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
First, since you are in puerto rico, you have to find out whether you can take live animals into the US from your country. Most of the time even though they were sent there or originaly from there, customs may not allow it to cross. Even though it is a US territory, some items cannot be transported without documentation showing exactly what it is and its classification. It all depends on your customs dept in your area. When I order coral or livestock from other countries, I have to pay permit fees to allow them in this country. This is called CITES permits. You may not have to pay the permit, however they may not allow you to bring them with you.....check before you take them to the airport and find out that you cant and all they will do it toss it in the trash.
Is this new? I thought PR's territorial status extended to everything shipped. Admittedly it was 15 years ago but when I was there on a company trip I hit the tables pretty good and bought myself a Hyacynth Macaw as a present. She came along in the plane with me w/o any documentation.

netopr

thanks for the responses. I don't think I may have a problem since PR is an US territory. But I will call the airline to ask if I can bring the fish along with me.

netopr

Originally Posted by stdreb27
Man that sounds like more trouble than it is worth. I may be cold but gotta ask yourself, is it worth the risk of getting your fish up here? VS finding them a good home in puerto rico. A living fish in a different tank to me would be better than the risk of moving a fish and it dieing.
Oh if you are in the oil business, my company is desperately looking for engineers.

some have a sentimental value since they were gifts, others are expensive (at least for me) and I really wanna keep them since I know that they are eating and are healthy.
But thanks anyways, I know it looks like a challenge.

netopr

Should I get rid of any fish or inverts ? Or should they be fine on the 10G for at least 2 months.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Netopr
Should I get rid of any fish or inverts ? Or should they be fine on the 10G for at least 2 months.
if you are going to go thru all that trouble spend 50 more bucks and pick up a used 45 gallon tank or something.

lexluethar

I think shipping them will be fine, in fact i would rather ship them then try carrying them myself. If you've ordered from SWF.com just package them in the same manner, or ask someone who's ordered from here and get some tips. I would suggest a couple of those warming packets even if it is an overnight shipment.

sinner's g

I'd ship them.
also, I would have set up a bigger tank. i have a 55gl i'm calling goodwill to pick up.
the problem is, yeah the tank at your parents will be cycled, however, you risk another cycle by adding a high bioload at once.
imo, i'd have your parents start 'feeding' the tank. that is, adding fish food every day, test the water and see if it's spikes. esp with small tanks, you have to be careful when adding new life, adding all your fish at once may cause a re-cycle.

J

jamiegrl

no way you can get them on the plane... there is a maximum of 3 oz of fluid on carry on as it is now
i agree w others find a way to ship
(they would be fine in the bag for that long FYI)
good luck!

netopr

Originally Posted by Sinner's G
I'd ship them.
also, I would have set up a bigger tank. i have a 55gl i'm calling goodwill to pick up.
the problem is, yeah the tank at your parents will be cycled, however, you risk another cycle by adding a high bioload at once.
imo, i'd have your parents start 'feeding' the tank. that is, adding fish food every day, test the water and see if it's spikes. esp with small tanks, you have to be careful when adding new life, adding all your fish at once may cause a re-cycle.
Well I told my parents to add a raw shrimp on the tank which they already did, and leave it there for about a week, So it can spike the ammonia. But I dont think they should be able to test the water lol.. they are old style

netopr

well, the shipment went well, They arrived 24 hours later I sent them, all live

I didnt use pure oxygen though