Moray Eel Question!!!!!!!!!!!

moray345

I am going to get a 72 gallon bow. FOWLR system i want an snowflake eel,saddled toby,and an niger trigger What other eels can i get????
Anyone,
Moray345

chandler04

Yes, I wouldnt recommend mxing eels, but Ive seen it get done, so Id say a tessaleta ar a chainlink eel, but nothing else in the tank. No triggers... what is a saddled toby? Get the two eels and that would be awesome, it could be a really cool tank. Get lots of rock and work pvc piping throughout it in the back. I wish I could do something like that, but Im stuck with what Ive got. Eventually I MIGHT be able to convince the parents for a nice eel tank down the road, but not now. So, to keep people satisfied around here, just get the 2 eels in there. :D

polarpooch

You can mix morays...just be careful about what you put together. I've had a number of different morays together...currently have a green and tessealata together. The tesselata even has peacefully cohabitated with a ghost eel, snowflake, blackedge and green. The green, on the other hand is one eel I would be very careful about. Then again, a green and a tesselata would be way too big for a 72.
As for fish, I'll say it again: fish+eels=dead fish. Unless your thinking of a really small moray, I'd avoid fish altogether.
Just my opinion.

chandler04

Yea, just get 2 eels, no other fish, unless you get like a lion, and a large one at that. That would be sweet.

conogre

Jeez Guys!
You make it sound like eels and fish don't mix or that keping more than one eel per tank is dangerous.
In my 300 are 4 eels (two morays, one wolf eel and one spoon-nosed snake eel) along with soapfish, tangs, damsels and lionfish with no severe problem after 3 years.
In my 125 is lionfish, scorpionfish, a squirrelfish, a slingjaw wrasse and a moray, while the 100 contains many small gobies, blennies, dwarf sea bass and.....yep, an eel (either a conger or a snake eel...the jury is still out.
I DEFFINITELY wouldn't put a Tesselata in a 72 gal. tank (we're talking 5 feet plus) and particularly with a Snowflake.
IMO the really large eels should be left in the ocean or kept in species tanks only......I've been bitten by a two footer and SEEN what a seven footer can do.
People tend to forget that "eels" is a whole family containing several different genera that runs from 10" (safe with almost anything....it's the eels that are in danger with many fish in this case) up to at least nine feet with some speculation that there may be a 150 foot plus species that occurs at extreme depths.
As long as you do your homework, keep similarly sized species together, spot feed to keep down aggression and give them plenty of room, INCLUDING lots of LR there are endless commbinations of fish and eel that can be kept together.
Mike

pufferman

i think you can mix any echidna or other crustacean-eating genus together with no problem.......i'd stay away from any gymnothorax.........they're just creepy and ill-tempered......:scared:

conogre

That's a Gymnothorax saxicola (maximum size 27") named Hannibal in the crevice with the snowflake, and They've been together over 4 years now......that's the one that bit half-way through my finger the night we caught it, hence his name.
If you think THOSE are ill tempered, try some of the larger snake eel......the bury in the substrate like their smaller cousins, the Garden eels, only to shoot out and make a lightening like grab at any smaller fish.
Mike

bullshark

Originally posted by Chandler04
Yea, just get 2 eels, no other fish, unless you get like a lion, and a large one at that. That would be sweet.

Chandler,
I awoke one morning to find a large volitans lionfish halfway down my green morays throat. He ate it and digested it. Some morays, including the testalata, eat fish. The Snowflake eel is a crustacean eater. Stick with these if you intend to have fish in there too.
Good Luck
John

gkp

I would say a black edge eel would be a great choice for you. Dont know about the toby but the trigger if the right size and species would be ok I have one with my eels and they dont DARE mess with him as a matter of fact he runs the tank (it almost seems instincual that they are freaked out by him). I have a 10 to 12 inch niger with my 3 foot green and tessy eel my black edge got ate a few months ago

conogre

Beautiful eels all.
As I've said before, my biggest concern with the larger morays is that they can actually be dangerous and to someone not familiar with them, this could be tragic.
On a recent edition of "The World's Worst Animal Attacks" a large green moray nearly severed a woman's entire arm with one quick bite, not the grab-on-and shake mode, mind you, but a strike-and-bite similar to what would be expected from a snake.......the only thing that kept her arm from falling off was a portion of bone and a 2" strip of the remains of her wetsuit.
The larger morays are among the oldest marine fish to have been kept in captivity with special marble moray tanks having been discovered in ancient Rome.....while this may seem like random trivia, it actually shows that these fish are VERY hardy and can be kept successfully with almost no modern technology, thriving and growing when everything else would have long since died.
To make matters worse, they are VERY strong and capable of forcing the cover off of shallower tanks with relative ease.....it's not unrealistic to think that eventually a child will find one that has escaped two or three rooms away and be severely bitten or mauled.
Unfortunately it will probably take several such incidents before a law is passed, which is always bad for the hobby/industry as a whole, before dealers are FORCED to do what they should have done out of common sense and ethics in the beginning.
Lions and tigers are beautiful animals as well, but in truth they just don't make good house pets.
Mike