More blue light

anadliv

I have 29 gallon reef tank with mostly soft corals. Im am currently using 150 coralife clamp on halide. It has a 14k bulb and looks ok. My problem is I want more blue light. I dont have room for actinic light fixtures becuase it is only a 29 gallon. If I add a 20k light will that be more blue? Also how much light intensity would I loose if I go to 20k and not 14k. I also recently added a clam which requires high light, its a maxima

spiderwoman

If you check out Sanjay's lighting site, you'll be able to compare the different bulbs that match your ballast. Depending on the manufacturer of the bulb, you'll be getting different *depths* of blue.

anadliv

Does anyone know if 20k will be too less intense for a clam? It is a coarlife ballast and fixture 1500 wat clamp on.

reefforbrains

Going to a 20k bulb will give considerable blue tint the tank but the 20k spectrum itself is often "dim" to the human eye by most oppinions. Your livestock should do just fine but the tank might tend to look dim.
Ask a local friend, or shop if you can borrow a store bulb for a few days to see how you like it on your tank. Even ask around here for someone with a old bulb for comparing color in your own tank. Not one for long term use, just something to play with to show yourself the color differences in your own tank.
Frustrating bit about bulbs is the swing from one maker to the next when they label a bulb 10k 12k 14k 20k ect. Buyer beware with cheapo bulbs.

spiderwoman

Also one thing you need to know. If you for example buy 14k or 15k bulp, at first it will look a lot more white than what it will be after a few weeks of use. This is something I keep hearing from users who have been disappointed at first for the *white* look. Eventually the spectrum burns more blue. I'll be using 15k XM 400W bulbs on our 150g tank, which is suppose to be fairly blue with my ballast.
On our 75 I'm planning on using 20k Coralife HQI double-ended bulbs. I'll know more next week when we install everything. I do like the bluer look instead of the white, washed out look.