More equipment issues/is it time to give up

murph

I have had the tank set up 14 months.
I have now lost yet another return pump which makes two and will probably be losing two more shortly.
A Rio brand that quit working after just 4 months.
A surge brand that started leaking voltage at about a year old.
A quiteone brand while still operating does not come on after a power interruption unless it is remove from the sump and disassembled, reassembled and if I am lucking comes back on after just one of these processes. I suspect its days are numbered. Pump is but a few months old
And now a capcom brand with a rattling impeller. I suspect its days are also numbered.
Now considering other equipment issues with heaters, LFS demanding top dollar for inferior livestock and lack of availability I really see myself returning to freshwater vary soon. I simply can not afford to keep replacing inferior equipment. Let alone just assume that if I buy livestock from one of the local LFS it will most likely immediately have to go into a treatment in order to save its life.

scsinet

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble...
Are you just venting or did you want suggestions on pumps, etc?
If you were going to give it one more go, get a Danner Mag return pump. I have over half a dozen operating on my various tanks, some have been running for 30 months + nonstop without even a cleaning. IMO, the brands you've chosen so far have been low-end brands.
Oh, and elaborate on the LFS beef... I am going down to Disney in a few months and I was thinking of checking out some LFSs down there. I figured with Florida where most of this stuff comes into the country anyway they'd have good stuff for less money.

murph

Mostly just venting but this is ridiculous. You would think even a low end pump would last more than a year.
Coralife has been the only decent equipment I have come across. Lights have been fine and a SS65 I installed for my brother has been great. I just received and installed a SS220 for my tank so I guess I will give it a few more months before throwing in the towel.
As far as LFS go. I can only speak for the Sarasota area. My choices are either fish swimming in copper soup, fish swimming in formalin soup or fish from tanks obviously infested with parasites. Its outrages and with vary little added overhead could be entirely avoided by these LFS.

scsinet

Originally Posted by Murph
Mostly just venting but this is ridiculous. You would think even a low end pump would last more than a year.
NOT a rio.

jmrents

I am sorry your having so much trouble with some equipment and
the prices from your LFS.
Budgets are tough when it comes to this hobby no doubt, but if you can
hang in there, it will work out with the benefits far out weighing the probs.
you typically see.
What kind of sump are you using? Is it drilled for an external pump?
If not, then I do reccommend a mag drive style return pump.
If you can accomodate an external pump, then I think the Sequence
pumps are very good choices.
I've been a life time fresh water guy, and decided a couple of years ago
to jump into salt. It is a learning experience for sure, it takes patience and
trial and error.
I started with an internal pump with a smaller sump and have graduated to
a larger sump and external pump and MH lights etc. but again I took the time
to do my research and find out what would work best for me and my budget.
This can be a very frustrating hobby, and you will lose money on equipment and livestock as you progress into it.
Just be patient, I am sure things will start to turn around for you soon, and
you too will be like the most of us, hooked on everything salt.
Good luck

acrylic51

Hang in there
I know it's tough and things seem to always happen at once......Your LFS if the set you up with the equipment need to be DX and you should find yourself another store to deal with.....Equipment choices weren't the greatest and I know about budgets, but at times you get what you pay for....