More sump/overflow questions (sizing)

I bought a used 55g a couple of years ago with an external overflow and wet/dry with bio-balls. I am switching to a new 75g tank (possibly tomorrow, but I can wait if necessary). I am currently running a RIO 2100 return pump and will have two 550 gph powerheads inside the tank. The sump works fine now, but since I bought it used, I don't know the specs on it (what flow rate it can handle). I have been considering making a new larger sump (no bio-balls) and adding a refugium, but using my current overflow. Is there any way of determing the capacity of my overflow based on its dimensions? I'd like to be able to handle an increased flow rate, in case I need it for the new sump/refugium. Should I even be worried about this?
Pete

broomer5

Best to get a ruler and check it out, if you can't find any manufacturer info.
You can measure the diameter of the drainline, and measure the diameter of the U tube.
Most likely .... on a 55 set up with a single U tube overflow, the drainline will be 1" ( could be 1-1/2" ) I.D.
The U tube could very easily be 1" I.D. as well.
If so, then it should safely handle around 600-700 gph.
You can push the flow a little higher than that - but not normally a wise thing to do.
If possible, get some measurements and post them here ;)

The drainline is 1" at its smallest point (the fittings) but larger (I'm guessing 1 1/2") everywhere else. Its the standard blue corrugated hose type of stuff. The U-tube is 1" as well. The part of the overflow box that sits outside the tank is 6" w X 10" h X 4 1/4" d. The part that sits inside the tank is 6" w X 6" h X 2 1/2 " d. I looked up some maufacturers sites for some overflows and the dimensions are very close to boxes I've seen rated for 700 gph. So I'm guessing that's close to what mine can handle. Does this sound right?
Pete

suver569

I'm also setting up something similar, a fuge instead of a sump, but hey.
Yea, I'm looking at the mag 7 pump. The mag 5 would probably work, but it wouldnt cycle the tank enough IMO. I have a 55 gallon also.