Morish Idol Rumors!

scubadoo

Originally Posted by shawnts106
IMO, I wouldnt bet any money down on the water flucs... I have seen and heard of people keeping them in nasty dirty 55 gallon tanks... so water quality is definatly on the low possibility scale....
I can assure water conditions play an improtant factor in keeping these animals for ANY lenght of time. Ant STORY that someone has posted on any board claiming they survived in nasty dirty tanks is nothing but a fairy tale. They cannot survive for any length of time in a "septic" tank.

jlem

they are a "rent a fish" ... so im going to try and rent to own... if you get my point???
:)
And to think that the fish could live longer on a reef :thinking: :notsure:

scully

Having just flushed my Hippo (she didn't survive tranfer to QT
) I'm truly saddened by this thread and your (soon to be) actions.
I killed her out of ignorance. I did not aclimate her properly. I just didn't know. Another contributing factor is that I took the advice of my LFS that she was appropiate for my tank and situation. AGain, didn't know.
I've learned how to do things now. I know better, so I will do better.
It's sad that even though YOU KNOW your tank isn't suitable, that this fish shouldn't really even BE out of the ocean, that this fish will in ALL LIKELYHOOD up and die in a year, you are still getting one.
I killed a fish today on accident. You will do it on purpose. That makes me sad.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Scully
Having just flushed my Hippo (she didn't survive tranfer to QT
) I'm truly saddened by this thread and your (soon to be) actions.
I killed her out of ignorance. I did not aclimate her properly. I just didn't know. Another contributing factor is that I took the advice of my LFS that she was appropiate for my tank and situation. AGain, didn't know.
I've learned how to do things now. I know better, so I will do better.
It's sad that even though YOU KNOW your tank isn't suitable, that this fish shouldn't really even BE out of the ocean, that this fish will in ALL LIKELYHOOD up and die in a year, you are still getting one.
I killed a fish today on accident. You will do it on purpose. That makes me sad.
I can assure you that I have accidentally kiiled many fish in my 30 plus years in the hobby. You put your turst in folks only to find out that they did not have a clue as to what they were doing. They hold themselves out as experts so why should you question?
There is something good that comes out of something bad...as you now know to do research in order to make informed decisions. Knowlege is power!
For those that wish to intetionally inflict harm...knowing failure most likely will occur....you can do little but wonder.
I have learned to respect the opinions of those that know...and more importantly...to respect our friends in the ocean.
IMO...those that try to purchase Idols do so for their own reasons...and ignore what is best for the animal. As long as folks buy...they will continue to be collected...plain and simple supply and demand.
Perhaps one day there will be a discovery that will give us an understnding as to how to keep certain animals. Until then...take some scuba lessons and travel to view...or vist a large public aquarium .
IMO.....It is all about respect...which often gets lost today.
Cheer up...bettter days for you are ahead.

All of this is just my opinion.....which means little

scully

Originally Posted by F1shMan
aww scully you ended up losing the hippo, i think it was me that helped you
And you did help me. I did what I could. I have a QT set up now and that's a good thing. I know more about how to treat ich and MORE IMPORTANTLY how to prevent it.
I'm sure it was the transfer that got her. I pulled out the rock of my display and put it in my QT (temporarily) so I could easily catch her since I had to net her (LFS didn't have fish trap) Once I got the rock out she was no where to be found. She was teeny, like quarter sized and, I'm sure, hid herself in a hole in my rock before I pulled it out. then I put the rock back not having a clue where she was. Going back and forth had to be tramatic.
When I was able to easily net her in the display this morning I figured the end was near. And it was. I'm sad but I've learned a lot and for that I'm super grateful. She isn't going to be the last fish I lose. But it will be the last one I lose like that.
and I dunno why I'm going into all that here! LOL but thanks for your help and understanding!

msd2

Originally Posted by F1shMan
sw65, thats crazy. Poor idol misses there spouse
awww lol. Wonder what would happen if you had them with their mate? 100+ years? lol. Also how long do moorish idols live in the ocean?
hehe put em together in a small tank and the male will commit suicide :p yes my sad attempt at humor.
But seriously when I was green at this hobby I tried a idol and it did exactly whats been said before. We were having a dinner party and a guest said I think your fish is having a heart attack, and to my dismay I swear i watched it have a seizure then die. Prior to that he had been doing fine for a few months.....

ophiura

You know, its not an uncommon story... young basketball player, athlete...guy in my neighborhood who was a runner...all in top physical health and then BAM, they are dead, for no clear cut reason. No weakness, no obvious outward signs. So to imply that a fish can't do the same indicates a certain lack of experience in dealing with animals in general.
But what does it matter if they do show signs of weakness or trouble? What difference would it have made? Maybe make life a bit easier...oh it wasted away (dietary), lost color (some stress, etc)...we know they DIE. Whether they show symptoms or not, they DIE. If they get thin and weak after eating for a year, what does that tell us? We aren't providing something. And I can tell you that right now. We aren't providing something they need in 99% of the specimens in the trade.

darth tang

Very good point!
Just a thought, is it possible they could be getting to much food and dying from "obesity"? An example, Reggie White, Top Physical conditioned athlete, very large though, and his heart gave out because it couldn't sustain the work needed to run his large body anymore. Just something to ponder.

ophiura

I would consider anything at this point. I do think that having room for multiple specimens is critical and a large tank...however that does not explain, for example, my experience. Yes, it was in a small tank but it wasn't with other fish (it beat the snot out of any we tried to put in). So it wasn't timid or easily frightened in the straightforward sense. Perhaps frightened as bullies are. I think it might have had a gut though
Anyway, does a school or others provide some sort of physiological well being? I don't know. And yet I think even people who have tried to keep multiple moorish idols in large tanks still have some issues with individuals dying off over the initial years.

scubadoo

Originally Posted by Darth Tang
Very good point!
Just a thought, is it possible they could be getting to much food and dying from "obesity"? An example, Reggie White, Top Physical conditioned athlete, very large though, and his heart gave out because it couldn't sustain the work needed to run his large body anymore. Just something to ponder.
My ex-mother-in-law probably tipped in at about 350 pounds. Her heart was made of cement so I figure only dynamite could have done her in at an early age.
I'll never forget when she phoned to say she was going to visit for the holidays...she arrived New Years and left Christmas.
I guess there are exceptions to everything...it's hard to kill fat and ugly....bugly ex-in-law is a national treasure...should be a buried treasure...glad I'm not bitter.

shawnts106

Orph... good point... didnt think about this.. thanks
Also, to the person who killed their Hippo Tang.. you mentioned that you didnt acclimate it properly?... sorry you didnt.. also you said that You killed a fish by accident and Im GOING TO KILL ONE ON PURPOSE??? so what, you think Im buying it and putting it in a blender??? your crazy.. Im not KILLING IT ON PURPOSE, if it does die.. then it does.. I didnt kill the thing... I acclimate fish VERYYYY SLOWLY to tanks.. hour at the least... with a drip acclimation... this slowly allows their bodys to adjust to the new conditions... some have said to quickly acclimate morish idols.. but I dissagree.. if anything they need to be acclimated even slower because of them being fragile..
Yes I have heard, and seen the 55 gallon nasty gross dirty tank online... with the IDOL in it... this isnt a fairy tale... no I do not have the site... I just glanced at the site name and now I do not remember it.. but anyway. Im just if you do a search you can find it
I am not saying that your wrong about water quality... Of course fish, coral whatever does better in a good clean healthy tank... but they are tollerant of less than purfect water conditions... like just nitrates... not ammonia and Nitrite... Nitrates can be up in a tank and the fish be fine.. not perfect.. not happy or healthy but they can survive.. not indefinatly but they can.... this was my point...
I do NOT know how long that Idol was in that nasty tank.. I just stated I saw it in there online!
well anyway I am personally done with this thread... done with the abuse! errrrrr
I am now on my way to pick up my Idol that just came in!.. :), its a MEDIUM... not what I wanted.. I wanted a Med Small.. but now my YT wont mess with it!
:) wish me luck if you care!!!

molamola

:) wish me luck if you care!!!
I think, based on all the arguments set fourth, we all care a lot.

fishieness

sigh
if you are not going to listen to all of us no matter all the advice and things we have said to try to tell you that an idol is not the best choice-weather it was said nicely or not-.... then seriously.... good luck.....you come online, ask for help and advice on weather or not it would be wies to get one. we say no. you said i dont care, im trying it anyways.
but none the less, good luck. and trust me, no matter how negative and pesemistic everyone here may seem on the subject, we do care a lot and wish for the best. We all wish you would keep this fish alive for years and years, so you will come back when we are all old men and shove it in our face, saying that you were able to do it even though we all said you could not.
the only thing we ask of you is to tell us all of your experiences in great depth. Even keep a log containing your tank specs and perametors. what you are feeding your idol. how much. how often. other fish in your tank. any live stock. how you idol behaves. any equipment you have. any thing you notice in your tank at all. With a fish like this, were the necessities are unknown, all the information that can be obtained is good informatoin. I would much rather have this information obtained through a labrotory examination in a huge tank, but if you are going to disregaurd our information, then we would at least like some information out of it
sorry for the flaming
thank you if you do keep a post
and good luck

f1shman

Well by putting a fish in a tank that is not suitable for it and special ordering one... you are killing it on purpose. But anyways, sicne your getting it, best of luck, and you better post a picture of him/her pronto!! lol Also, if when we're old men and you tell us that yours lived for many years, I won't believe you
haha jk, good luck, and post a pic!

scully

F1shMan said:
Well by putting a fish in a tank that is not suitable for it and special ordering one... you are killing it on purpose.QUOTE]
Thank you! This is what I mean.
The poor thing doesn't have to die in a BLENDER to still die!
But whatever, have your fish. If it survives it will be because it's got an entire website of caring people PRAYING for it and not because YOU'VE done what's best.

shawnts106

please refer to my other thread on updates on my IDOL.. and no it was NOT acclimated twice.. I work at my LFS... and for special orders we require the person ordering the fish to be present at the time of arival.. so we DO NOT acclimate a fish twice.. if the person is unable to get the fish the day of arival.. we will acclimate it and keep it for a few days (3 or so) if not a week. so it doesnt go through so much!
:) bad assumption I suppose

darth tang

Let me get this straight, you work at the LFS and yet you still couldn't even get the fish ordered right so as to get the size you desired? Imagine that.