most important test kits....

fedukeford

right now im putting in an order for some test kits and other things, i want to get the most important tests for a reef, right now i have ammonia, trate, calcium,trite, PH, and alk, but the only ones that are somewhat accurate are the nitrate and nitrite, and calcium, i was thinking of ordering : alk, PH, and ammonia(all sailfert) any others that i dont have that would be pretty important (its going to be a mainly softy and LPS reef so i dont see any need for magnesium and those type of tests)

chrisarc

from the amount of posts you have I would imagine you have a pretty good grasp of the salt hobby(addiction). Im sure you know that a fully cycled tank shuold not have Ammonia or nitrites. I havent tested for them in years. Get the Calcium,PH, and nitrates test.Softies love Iodine but you dont want to over do it so you might want that test. Im sorry, definately get the alk test too!

sign guy

get every thing
amm
alk
trait
trite
ph
call
phos
mag
id
of cource that would cost a small fortune but imo worth it

fedukeford

well my dad put in the order before i got a chance to read this , im pretty sure we got nitrate, ammonia, PH,alk, next time ill order iodine, and mabey mag.

lazypinoy

hey what about those jungle lab 5 in 1 test strips? are they any good? it looks like a real money saver to me i mean walmart has it for 10$ "25strips in a bottle." it has nitrate nitrite alk ph n the other thing. my lfs recomends it to me but sells it for 17$ "yeh whatta jerk". then u could buy the other test kits for amm cal n phos etc. right?

tx reef

Originally Posted by fedukeford
well my dad put in the order before i got a chance to read this , im pretty sure we got nitrate, ammonia, PH,alk, next time ill order iodine, and mabey mag.
I only test for ammonia or nitrite once every two months.
A healthy system will never have any ammonia or nitrite. I do test for nitrates once a week, though.

fedukeford

Originally Posted by LazyPinoy
hey what about those jungle lab 5 in 1 test strips? are they any good? it looks like a real money saver to me i mean walmart has it for 10$ "25strips in a bottle." it has nitrate nitrite alk ph n the other thing. my lfs recomends it to me but sells it for 17$ "yeh whatta jerk". then u could buy the other test kits for amm cal n phos etc. right?
the test stips are crap

lazypinoy

oh yeah? damn, im not goin to that damn lfs agen. ey what would be better? the red sea test kit, or individual tests by that brand salifert.

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by fedukeford
the red sea tests are crap too, just get the sailfert tests
man u sure do kno a lot of this fish stuff at age 13. man wen i was ur age all tha other kids were hooked on pokemon and those yu gi oh cards and stuff.how would kno those test are "crap"? have u tried them ur self or jus posting up ur opinion??

fedukeford

lol, i stoped yugioh and pokemon stuff like 5 years ago... i just threw away my red sea master test kit, so yes its personal experiance, just recieved teh sailfert tests, for the red sea it said PH was 8.0, sailfert 8.3, ammonia for red sea- 1.5, sailfert <.25