Moving a 300 gallon Aquarium

reefeel

Anyone have any ideas on how to move a 8x2x2.5 750-800 lb glass aquarium? We called moving companies and they won't do it.

reefeel

We already have the tank, its sitting on a trailer, the problem is getting it inside a 3 foot door and up 4 stairs.

cgrant

time to call your buddies.
we got my 210 into the basement with my friends help, took 4 of us but we got it.
wasnt an easy task!
Now your tank is bigger so i would figure on 6 of you.
Hope this helps good luck!

turboangel

There’s a company that makes some really nice plastic sliders that go on the bottom for furniture. there used specifically for moving. They make it very easy to move extremely heavy object across flat surfaces. As for the stairs get some people to help

reefeel

Thanks for the help! Anyone have any ideas how to pick it up initially, right now it is on a pallet.

lauras

My lfs has these HUGH suction cups with handles on them. He said they are for moving big heavy glass tanks. I asked because I thought maybe he was using them to climb up tall glass buildings.

lubeck

You really need 8-10 people to make this easier. as far as getting it off the pallet have 1/2 your crew push the pallet off to the side of the trailer while the other 1/2 grabs from the bottom the other 1/2 helps pick up the top for the bottom guys to grab it from the pallet. You really need 10 guys. once you get to teh door, well.... that is going to be really tricky and painful for you and the guy on the other end. i don't know what your door or house is set up to manuvour the tank. you need like a cart to set one end on while you guys push it in. I dont know i am just rambling. I really do think/know that 10 people will get the job done without breaking your back. just move all your stuff in your house so you can go right to teh final destination.

k-rok

I just moved my 240 gal. from where I bought it to my house - took me and 4 buddies to do it. I don't know how wide your tank is but you may have to take your door/s off their hinges to make more room. Good luck!

sleasia

Well to get it up the 4 steps I would put plywood down over the steps to make a ramp...getting the tank out of the truck will probably need to be manpower 10 guys as they have suggested. get it out of the truck and onto two or three piano dollys then push it to the ramp you've built and get your 10 guys to push it up the ramp and into the house.... I had a 7ft x 20x24" tank delivered in a crate to the driveway....I got acrylic because it was supposed to be lighter than glass...figuring my daughter and I could carry it...NO WAY POSSIBLE. I called a guy who had an add in a small paper saying he removes things anything from the basement, attic, garage, etc. I called him up and asked if he could maybe just once do the reverse and put something IN the house. he came with 4 guys and for $60 put the tank in the house for me!!!! I hate to suggest this, but if it is really heavy maybe a funeral parlor will rent you a casket lifting gizmo. these things lift concrete boxes, so they should be able to lift a tank.

acrylic51

To get the tank up off the trailer I would suggest getting quite a few of your friends, and have some tilt the tank to the side and get some 1/2" pvc to sit under the tank....Meaning maybe for or 5 pieces cut longer than the width of the tank and as the tilt the tank to the side lifting the back side of the tank a couple people slide the pvc under as far as they can get it and then have them sit the tank back down on the pvc and then you just slide the tank up fully on the pvc.........By doing this you can honestly roll the tank and move the tank at will with no effort........I moved a 240 2 weeks ago and just had 3 disc removed from my back and on pvc there's no effort at all.......
As far as getting it through the door the strongest guys are going to have to be the ones to make that move through the door......I would get at least 4 guys, anymore than that you kinda get into each others way.......everyone will carry or support his or her load and then as you near the door one guy slips through as the strongest guys make their way through the door and as the first guy clears the door way he transfers 1/2 the load to the other guy who has had a short break and reverse on the other end as well......
Once you get it through the door again you could sit it down on pvc and roll it to where your going with it till you have to pick it back up again.....Plastic furniture movers like they sell at Lowes or HD won't move that kind of weight...........HTH

acrylic51

Trust me once you try the pvc idea you'll never think about moving anything with some weight any other way