Moving a saltwater tank

tbrow21

I am moving in a few weeks and I have a 30 gallon tank wit live rock, 1 fish, a star fish, and an earchent. I am moving about a half bore from where I live now but during the move I want to transfer everything into a 55 gallon tank I have and I want to use my existing sand bed. What would be the best way to do this without harming the fish.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrow21 http:///t/393603/moving-a-saltwater-tank#post_3502256
I am moving in a few weeks and I have a 30 gallon tank wit live rock, 1 fish, a star fish, and an earchent. I am moving about a half bore from where I live now but during the move I want to transfer everything into a 55 gallon tank I have and I want to use my existing sand bed. What would be the best way to do this without harming the fish.
Welcome to the site!
I have moved many times...here is my method:
1st: Go to new place and set up enough saltwater to refill the new tank, and a tub filled with SW to keep the fish happy until they can be transferred, add an airline without the stone... Water holds next to none of the good bacteria, so there is no need to save it from the already established tank...unless you just want to. If you plan to add extra sand and rock because of the larger tank, make sure the live rock you add is already cured and set up in the new digs. It will also help to save all the filter media because it has good bacteria colonies already established and will help to keep the new tank from any cycles.
Remove all the rock and place in a tub, then put damp paper towels over the rock to keep it moist. Remove critters (easier to catch without rocks to hide in) Put each critter in it's own bag and with as much air as possible to trap in it, tie it off. Remove all the sand and put into another tub. IF the sand is very deep and well established you would have to rinse it in saltwater (so you don't kill the good bacteria) before using it again...moving sand can release toxins that were buried deep down. DO NOT BOTHER THE SAND UNTIL ALL CRITTERS ARE REMOVED.
When you get to the new digs acclimate the fish to the set up SW tub...float the bag and add a little water over an hour to get them all set and happy until the new tank is set up for them.
Using live sand will help keep the balance in the new tank if you decided to discard the old sand (not recommended because lots of good bacteria lives on the sand)
Add saltwater 1/2 full...place rock where you want it and then add the sand. Set up the filter system while the sand settles...fill the tank with water, try not to disturb the sand too much and start the filters. As soon as it's all clear, add water from the new tank to the tub and take water from the tub to the new tank...about 4 to 8 cups of water each to swap...do that about an hour and then transfer the sea-life to the new digs.
In all the times (at least 5) that I have transferred my critters, coral and all...I lost 1 of my cleaner shrimps last move. He just went into shock and fell over dead...I wasn't even messing with different water yet. At any rate, over the years that is the only lost I ever had in a move. I went from Wisconsin to Illinois (2 1/2 hour trip) and never lost a thing.
P.S.
I just reread your post...are you just planning to use the 55g while you move or keeping it permanently? Using while you move just seems like allot of extra work. The tub I mentioned will be fine to use at the new place with an air line. The new tank will be up and running within one day, so you should not have any problems with ammonia spikes, and a good quick water change will be the cure if that happens.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrow21 http:///t/393603/moving-a-saltwater-tank#post_3502289
the 55 is going to be the permanent new home for my fishy friends
Lovely...follow my original instructions and you will be fine. Keep in mind that there are more than one way to do something, everyone has their own way of doing certain things. Whatever advice you follow, just follow that persons advice on that subject. Don't mix and match. If say Snake chimes in and says something a bit different and you think his way will better suite you, do that, but don't mingle his methods and mine because you might find problems that way.
I find often when people get advice from different folks on the site it confuses them, usually both or all three methods, if say another person also chimed in... and it will work...but choose only one to do.
I hope that makes sense.