Moving anemone/tank breakdown

spkdtch

i just finished building and painting the stand for my 40gallon reef, soon it will be in place with the sump under it running and the canopy finished as well
now in order to get my tank onto the new stand, it has to come off my old steel rod shelf set, so i need to take all the rocks and critters out that i can find and drain most of the tank then move it fast and put everything back, so they fish and shrimp and crabs and live rock and all the corals and my clam and anemones back in the tank and hook up the sump and skimmer and all the powerheads
the issue is my ritteri anemone hangs on the left side of the tank, midway up on the glass(not at the water level trying to get light) and my gbta is on some live rock so im not worried about it
how can i remove the anemone so i can drain the tank with the anemone gone so it doesnt get stressed with no water or fall off onto the sandbed
also, once i get it out, how do i put my tank back together? if i put my corals where i want them and fasten everything down then put the anemones in and in the middle of the night they crawl and stay on corals and sting or smother?
i was thinking put the liverock in with the shrimp and crabs, pretty much everything but the clam and corals and the anemones with the flow and lights adjusted, then wait overnight then in the morning, put the corals in because the anemone will hopefully have found a spot it likes
but if i need to do it that way, then i have to buy new heaters and get a lot more bucks since i dont have any empty tanks lying around

spkdtch

bump
please help im putting down new carpeting, the ceiling is done and the walls are done so im waiting on putting down the carpet til i can drain the tank to move it so the carpet can get put down and i can put up the tank
carpet will take a few hours, so the tank will be almost empty for under 6 hours so im not worried about the other stuff, just dont want the anemone out of water for 2-3 hours
then how do i place the anemones once the tank is filled? before or after the corals?

fretfreak13

I have no expereance with anenome's at ALL, but all I can think of is that if it's on the glass and you drain it, leave enough water in the tank to at least cover it if it were to move to the bottom. If it's out of the water, it'll move, wont it? Maybe let go of the glass and sit in the water of the bottom of the tank?

valgae

if it is attached to the glass, use a credit card to detatch the foot from the glass. just be gentle.

btldreef

When I moved everything from one tank to the other, I placed some live rock, all my coral, fish and inverts and my anemones in a 30G tupperware container with a power head and set the light over the top and threw in some stress coat and then drip acclimated once the other tank was up and running again.
You can easily get the anemone off the glass, just be gentle, credit cards are very useful.
Just know that it may not go back in the same spot once the tank is set up again.

spkdtch

awesome, great ideas! now how do i go about putting everything back?
which order should i put my fish, crabs and shrimp and snails, anemones, and corals back in? along with all the live rock of course

flower

Originally Posted by spkdtch
http:///forum/post/3145704
awesome, great ideas! now how do i go about putting everything back?
which order should i put my fish, crabs and shrimp and snails, anemones, and corals back in? along with all the live rock of course

Only move the tank empty to insure that you won't break the seals and have a leak.
Add half of the water, so you can work your rocks into place. Set up your filters and pumps, don't turn anything on until the tank is filled with water. Put your rocks in first, then your sand. Now fill the tank and turn on the power heads and such. Wait for everything to settle. Add your corals where you want them. Acclimate your critters just like when you first got them.
Do shrimps first as they are the most sensitive and it will take longer for them...same with any starfish you may have. Cover the power heads..the anemone will be on the move.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3145735

Only move the tank empty to insure that you won't break the seals and have a leak.
Add half of the water, so you can work your rocks into place. Set up your filters and pumps, don't turn anything on until the tank is filled with water. Put your rocks in first, then your sand. Now fill the tank and turn on the power heads and such. Wait for everything to settle. Add your corals where you want them. Acclimate your critters just like when you first got them.
Do shrimps first as they are the most sensitive and it will take longer for them...same with any starfish you may have. Cover the power heads..the anemone will be on the move.
+1