Moving aquarium

waterbaby76

Didnt know where to post this, but I will be moving my 55gal, with a few pieces of live rock, some shrimp, crabs and fish. Whats the easiest way to do it? How can I prevent the substrate from stirring around too much? Also, any other tips/tricks/experiences you want to share will be greatly appreciated. IM really nervous about the move :(
Thanks for the help.

Are you only trying to move this tank and place it somewhere else and still have it running? my advice would be, to drain and dispose of about 80% of your water, and pump the rest into a big Clean container.(that is if your have a thick sand bed and live rocks with good bacteria already) then secure all live rock that may fall against the glass and scratch/break it.. then have a couple people who are able to lift it to just move it for you, the only weight in there will be the sand, live rock. You can also remove the live rock and have it outside the tank for a couple hours if you mist it with saltwater. then once moved put the 20% old water back in and fill the rest of the tank up with new saltwater.. hope i helped!

waterbaby76

Well, IM going to be moving my aquarium about 40 minutes away from its original home. Im just wondering where I can get containers where I can put 20% of the water that I need to keep. Well, I guess 11 gallons or so isnt that bad, but still.
Should I drain all of the water from the aquarium so the sand doesnt get disturbed? Or should I leave a layer of water on top? Im prolly going to take all the live rock out: easier to carry.
:confused:

porkypuffer

I MOVED MY 55 GAL TANK FROM THE LIVING ROOM TO THE KITCHEN FOR THE CARPET INSTALLERS. I REALIZE YOUR MOVE IS CONSIDERBLE FURTHER BUT MAYBE MY METHOD WILL GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS.
I USED LARGE PLASTIC STORAGE CONTAINERS FOR THE WATER AND LIVE ROCK, MOVED THE CC FROM ONE END TO LEAVE A PUDDLE OF WATER FOR THE FISH. AT THIS IT TOOK TWO OF US ALL WE HAD TO MOVE THE TANK AND STAND 20 FEET. IF I WERE YOU I'D PUT THE LIVE ROCK AND FISH IN LARGE PLASTIC STORGE CONTAINERS. YOUR TANK WILL BE EXTREAMLY HEAVY WITH JUST THE SUBSTRATE, YOU MY WANT TO PUT IT IN A CONTAINER ALSO. THE NUMBER ONE CONCERN WILL BE AIREATION. MOST SPORTING GOODS STORES SELL A LIVE BAIT WELL AIREATOR WHICH IS NO MORE THEN A 12 VOLT PUMP AND SOME HOSE. WHAT KIND OF FILTRATION DO YOU HAVE?

waterbaby76

I just have a protein skimmer at the moment that seems to be doing fine by itself.
Where did you get your storage containers?? I was actually going to try asking a fish store if they'd 'donate' some buckets or something that I can use to move all of the water and critters.
Well, this move is planed for this weekend: hopefully I wont chicken out. :confused:

porkypuffer

THE CONTAINERS CAN BE FOUND AT WAL-MART, K-MART, TARGET OR ANY PLACE LIKE THAT FOR FAIRLY CHEAP PRICES. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR MAIN FILTRATION IS YOUR LIVE ROCK, YOU MAY WANT TO PUT A POWERHEAD IN THE CONTAINER WITH THE LR UNTIL YOUR READY TO MOVE, THEN PUT THE POWERHEAD BACK IN AS SO AS YOU REACH YOUR DISTINATION,THIS WILL HELP TO KEEP THE BACTERIA ALIVE. YOU MAY WANT TO USE THAT 12V LIVE BAIT AIREATOR FOR THE CONTAINER WITH YOUR FISH. THE ONLY OTHER THING I CAN THINK OF IS TO TEST THE WATER EVERYDAY FOR AMONIA AFTER YOU MOVE. THIS WILL TELL YOU IF YOUR BACTERIA MADE IT. IF IT TESTS FINE FOR A WEEK, I'D SAY YOU MADE IT. GOOD LUCK.
ONE LAST THING, DON'T FEED YOUR FISH THE DAY BEFORE THE MOVE, THIS WILL HELP KEEP THE FISH FROM POLLUTING THE WATER.
[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: PORKYPUFFER ]

generik

hope this isn't too late.
Your local Dunkin Donuts may sell their 5g buckets for $1 they are used for filling and icing. Not sure if there would be any harm in that.