moving live rock and got a ?

whitebird

were going to be moving live rock from a older tank to a new one and what are your thoughts on it as we have lots of Aiptasia and hair algae (moss) on it and don't want it in the new tank so what would be the fastest way to kill it off the rock i thought about diping it in hot water but would i have to recure it after that and is there any way of saving the worms and stars and other crally things that are in it
because i don't know how our daughter would take me killing off her tiny star fish
help!!

keith burn

Originally Posted by Whitebird
were going to be moving live rock from a older tank to a new one and what are your thoughts on it as we have lots of Aiptasia and hair algae (moss) on it and don't want it in the new tank so what would be the fastest way to kill it off the rock i thought about diping it in hot water but would i have to recure it after that and is there any way of saving the worms and stars and other crally things that are in it
because i don't know how our daughter would take me killing off her tiny star fish
help!!
Put it in qt tank over night. put food on small rock,thay may come out to eat.
hot water will kill l/r and you will need to recure.Got pics?

brainrush

You could easily kill all the hair algea by putting it in a QT tank and leaving all the lights off for a week or so. Not sure about the Aiptasia. Do they need light to survive like regular anemonies? If not maybe you could get rid of them both that way while saving all of the other good things.

whitebird

thanks never thought of doing that and in a week or so i'll move the rest of the fish out and then just let this tank stay dark for a week or so and see how it does
thanks again

yellowhaid

You could try a freshwater dip for the rock. Just make sure temp and pH are the same just as you would for a fish. Let the rock sit in it for about 3-5 minutes and most hitchikers will come out of it.

merredeth

L. Wurdemanni Peppermint Shrimp will eat aiptasia. Put the rocks in a separate tank or plastic tote with a heater and a powerhead for a few days and they will eat it.
Raccoon Butterfly fish will also eat apitasia.
Nudis are also reported to eat aiptasia, but I have never had any experience with Nudis doing the job and I don't think my LFS has either.
Bottled lemon juice concentrate injected into the aiptasia has also been successful for people on the boards.
Calcium Hydroxide (Kalkwasser) or sodium hydroxide will also do the job if injected into the aiptasia. However, if there is an overabundance of it, you could end up screwing with the Ph getting out of whack with the calcium hydroxide. You have to be careful with this stuff which is why I would opt for the shrimp or a fish first.
Hope this helps you...
Denise M.

whitebird

we have 2 Peppermint Shrimp and they won't touch them there is one aiptasia thats right where they hang out and they won't even look at it

merredeth

we have 2 Peppermint Shrimp and they won't touch them there is one aiptasia thats right where they hang out and they won't even look at it

L. Wurdemanni Peppermint Shrimp s the specific shrimp that will eat it. Here are the differences as borrowed from the site www.reefs.org:
L. rathbunae
Variation - There are 2 varieties of L. rathbunae with the most obvious difference being the number of rostral teeth (number of serrations on that

[hr]
).
Habitat - Sometimes from sponges; the typical from generally occurs from 13 to 119 meters but the form with more rostral teeth generally occurs in depths of 9 meters or less.
Known Range - Range of the typical form is SE Cape Fear, NC , east coast of Florida to Yucatan. The range of the form with more numerous rostral teeth is Bermuda, Miami and Venezuela.
L. Wurdemanni
Variation - There are also two forms in this species and they too are most easily differentiated by the number of teeth on the upper margin of the rostrum, the thickness of the second leg, and other stuff.
Habitat - Commonly found on stone jetties or AMONG HYDROIDS growing on piles or buoys, or in sponges. The EMPHASIS is mine but it may provide a clue to the food preferences of this species.
Known Range - Great Egg Harbor NJ to Port Aransas TX; Surinam; French Guiana; Mamanguape and Sao Paulo, Brazil
Remarks - When approached by a spiny boxfish or filefish, this shrimp begins rhythmically rocking to and fro; ascending vertically in a peculiar walking motion, it mounts its ''host'' and begins picking off parasites. The shrimp will swarm over the fingers of a person, picking at cuts and dead skin.
True L. wurdemanni has always eaten Aiptasia IME, but it is fairly localized to their territory, so you need enough shrimp to cover the tank. It is reasonable to suspect that anything that will eat one Cnidarian will eat others as well, and their have been reports of L wurdemanni eating coral. I've not seen that, but I have never kept SPS much.
The picture I have attached is a true L. Wurdemanni shrimp.
Bob Fenner's site agrees with this type of shrimp eating Aiptasia and also suggests Copperhead Butterflies as well as Emperor Angels to help control it.
Joe's Juice is also another way to get rid of it.
This problem can be rid, but it will take work as Steve Pro (an author of an article I recently read) equates Aiptasia as a weed with a sting for sensitive creatures.
Denise M.

whitebird

thats my luck i probly have the wrong shrimp
yes these do come out to see or grab anything we put in the tank including hands and catch anything floating by and they love feeding time
as for angels and butterflys i'm not sure i want any from what i read they seem to eat things i wouldn't want them to

merredeth

thats my luck i probly have the wrong shrimp
yes these do come out to see or grab anything we put in the tank including hands and catch anything floating by and they love feeding time
as for angels and butterflys i'm not sure i want any from what i read they seem to eat things i wouldn't want them to
If you have corals, it is a possiblity. However you can always opt to put the shrimp into a plastic tote, add a powerhead, heater and the rock.
It will then FORCE them to eat the aiptasia.

Denise M.