Moving livestock, have ?'s

2quills

Ok, I'm moving next weekend and dreading the thought of moving my aquariums, but it's gotta be done. My freshwater system I'm not worried about I've moved them before without any problems, they are pretty hardy and can handle it. But my SW tank is another story.
The plan...tommorow I will go to the new place and set up a temporary tank that will house my fish and inverts for approximately 2 months while my display tank is down. I plan on drilling my DT and installing overflows as well as building a whole new stand and canopy, pluss try and remove some of the small scratches is has caused from maintenance over the last 2 years.
I'm going to set up the temporary tank tommorow with a HOB filter that I've been using on my 20G QT. I know it's already got some good bacteria so it probably shouldn't take too long to cycle...pluss once we make the actual move next weekend then I will install the canister filter on it that I am currently using on my DT. I don't plan on changing the media or anything for now, infact I'm eaven going to leave the water that's in it...in it.
I figure I'll just have to keep a close eye on my peramiters and possibly do some frequent water changes if need be.
Does anybody have any advice that they can offer that could maybe help...or is there anything that I'm missing that I could be doing?
Thanks

flower

When you break down your tank save the water in 5g jugs, and move your rock to the new temp tank. Most of the good bacteria is on the rocks and sand not so much in the water. Keeping the media in the canisters is a perfect idea.
Acclimate your critters for the new tank even though you have the same water.

2quills

Thanks, Flower.
I've got 6 30G tubbies...I plan on transereing my rock in 4 of them and then the sand in the other 2. I'll also have some of the tank water in each one to keep things from drying out. Luckily the move isn't very far...only about 6 miles down the road. Once I get there then I'll put some of the sand and rock into the temp tank. The temp tank is 55G so I should be able to get about half of my rock and sand in there from my 125G DT. The rest I will combine into as least amount of tubs as I can and just keep a couple of HOB filters going on them as well as some air pumps. Once I am done with building the new stand and stuff then I'll keep the 55G as my new QT instead of the 20G that I was using before.
Question...should I ghost feed my rock and sand that's going to remain in the tubbies for a while?

flower

Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/post/3278134
Thanks, Flower.
I've got 6 30G tubbies...I plan on transereing my rock in 4 of them and then the sand in the other 2. I'll also have some of the tank water in each one to keep things from drying out. Luckily the move isn't very far...only about 6 miles down the road. Once I get there then I'll put some of the sand and rock into the temp tank. The temp tank is 55G so I should be able to get about half of my rock and sand in there from my 125G DT. The rest I will combine into as least amount of tubs as I can and just keep a couple of HOB filters going on them as well as some air pumps. Once I am done with building the new stand and stuff then I'll keep the 55G as my new QT instead of the 20G that I was using before.
Question...should I ghost feed my rock and sand that's going to remain in the tubbies for a while?

If I were going to drill a tank, build a stand and get scratches out…I would just purchase a new tank. It is the stand and canopy that costs all the money..Tanks are cheap. So start building a stand if that is what you want, trying to build a stand while the critters are in temporary digs doesn’t sound too safe. I don’t drill tanks myself. The chance of a crack is too great when it’s a tank you intend to depend on in a move. (JUST an opinion)
To be honest I think you are going through too many changes. I have moved my tank 3Xs.
I would do the following:
At the new place make up plenty of new saltwater and let it churn for 24 hours before you do a thing.
On moving day of the tank, or contents thereof to a new tank…save half at least of your old water in 5g jugs. Put the other half in tubs with fish and inverts and coral if you have them an air tube without an air stone to stir the water and maybe a heater if needed.
Put your rock and sand in tubs with no water…it will be heavy enough, sand weighs a ton and will be damp enough for a 6 mile trip and the rocks hold the water in its little crevices and so no need to put that in water either. LOL… I had a Royal Gramma fish hitchhike inside of a rock, in a water crevice like that. Do the move as quick as possible don’t dally.
Move the tank, stand, rock, sand and jugs of water and set it up with filters, power heads, and heaters. Bring the water level up with the new saltwater you made. This makes for a large water change and no spikes. Let it settle for 24 hours and go get your critters put them in baggies and transport and acclimate them like new arrivals to the now (possibly new) setup tank.

acrylic51

I agree with Flowers advice on moving your critters and rock and such.....Just keep the rock moist doesn't have to be submerged in water completely. Acclimate your critters to the new tank even if you transport all the water.
As far as the advice on buying a new tank, IMO that is a waste of money if the tank is in good shape. I have moved my fair share of tanks small and huge tanks in my years, and as long as your careful it doesn't undermine the integrity of the tank, if the tank was in good shape to start with. The chance of cracking a tank is slim IMHO. I've drilled plenty of tanks and where the problem arises in drilling is poor or inadequate cooling of the area being drilled(ground), or the person drilling the tank applying to much pressure or forcing the bit. The key is keep it cool actually over flood the area and let the drill do the work. You'll be fine 2Quills. Can't wait to see the stand and canopy build

2quills

10/4
You're advise sounds pretty sound so I'll do it like that. I won't dally...I'm going to make a seperate trip just for my fish when everything is in place in order to do it quick and make it as least stressful as possible. Luckily my stock list is pretty minimal right now. 1 small/medium Tang, 1 clown, 1 lanwmower blenny, 1 mandarin and 1 goby. Inverts...CUC, 2 stars and 1 tuxedo pin. I know the 55G is small for the Tang but he won't be in there forever, hopefull no longer than 6 weeks. And I'll be seeding the tank with pods for the madarin. I'll just be happy when the move is over, and hopefully...eventually so will my fish.
I have been kicking around the idea of just getting a new tank but that one that I really want for the same size is going to run me about $1,000 once you factor in shipping charges, etc. And the tank that I have now is only 2 years old, it's still in good shape, the scratches are actually pretty minimal. I just figured since I was going to have it down that I might as well take one of those scratch removal kits too it and try and make it like brand new again. It's only going to cost me $150 for the both kits to drill the holes, the kits come with the overflow boxes, bulkeads, diamond tip bits and elbows that I need. I figure if I can just do this for now then the extra money that I'll save on the tank I can use to upgrade the lighting system that I want.
You'll have to see the stand once I'm done with it...it will be beautifull. Only reason why it will take me some time is because I want it to look like a real show piece.
Thanks for the tips, Flower. I do apreciate it.

2quills

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3278210
I agree with Flowers advice on moving your critters and rock and such.....Just keep the rock moist doesn't have to be submerged in water completely. Acclimate your critters to the new tank even if you transport all the water.
As far as the advice on buying a new tank, IMO that is a waste of money if the tank is in good shape. I have moved my fair share of tanks small and huge tanks in my years, and as long as your careful it doesn't undermine the integrity of the tank, if the tank was in good shape to start with. The chance of cracking a tank is slim IMHO. I've drilled plenty of tanks and where the problem arises in drilling is poor or inadequate cooling of the area being drilled(ground), or the person drilling the tank applying to much pressure or forcing the bit. The key is keep it cool actually over flood the area and let the drill do the work. You'll be fine 2Quills. Can't wait to see the stand and canopy build
Thanks, Shawn.
I'm pretty confident I can drill em without too much worry. I've watched every video that I can find and I'll have the right tools for the job.

flower

Originally Posted by 2Quills
http:///forum/post/3278211
10/4
You're advise sounds pretty sound so I'll do it like that. I won't dally...I'm going to make a seperate trip just for my fish when everything is in place in order to do it quick and make it as least stressful as possible. Luckily my stock list is pretty minimal right now. 1 small/medium Tang, 1 clown, 1 lanwmower blenny, 1 mandarin and 1 goby. Inverts...CUC, 2 stars and 1 tuxedo pin. I know the 55G is small for the Tang but he won't be in there forever, hopefull no longer than 6 weeks. And I'll be seeding the tank with pods for the madarin. I'll just be happy when the move is over, and hopefully...eventually so will my fish.
I have been kicking around the idea of just getting a new tank but that one that I really want for the same size is going to run me about $1,000 once you factor in shipping charges, etc. And the tank that I have now is only 2 years old, it's still in good shape, the scratches are actually pretty minimal. I just figured since I was going to have it down that I might as well take one of those scratch removal kits too it and try and make it like brand new again. It's only going to cost me $150 for the both kits to drill the holes, the kits come with the overflow boxes, bulkeads, diamond tip bits and elbows that I need. I figure if I can just do this for now then the extra money that I'll save on the tank I can use to upgrade the lighting system that I want.
You'll have to see the stand once I'm done with it...it will be beautifull. Only reason why it will take me some time is because I want it to look like a real show piece.
Thanks for the tips, Flower. I do apreciate it.

What size tank for $1000.00? I paid $400.00 for a new 90g Glass tank, stand and canopy

P.S.
I peeked at your prfile..125g...all and all $150.00 for the fixings to drill can't be beat. I can't wait to see the stand you build, wish I was handy.

2quills

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3278213

What size tank for $1000.00? I paid $400.00 for a new 90g Glass tank, stand and canopy

I like the ones they are selling on Glass Cages. For another 125G with starfire glass and pre-drilled holes with overflows..etc. It would probably cost me about a grand. Even if I didn't pay for them to ship it all the way down here the closest city that they would ship it to for $85 would be to Houstin...which is still about 4 hours away. I want to make my own stand for the simple fact that I can customize it the way I want for how I have things planned out in my head. And once it's all said and done the materials will cost me around $500 and my time vs a couple of thousand for someone to build it for me.

2quills

Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/post/3278235
Starphire(LowE) glass is so sweet.....I had my 240 done with LowE glass.
Yeah it sounds like good stuff from what I've read. I haven't seen any aquariums with it (that I know of) but if and when I do decide to get a new one...that's deffinately what I'll get.