Moving mushrooms

stupid_naso

I have a rock full of mushrooms, and it has gotten too big for my 10 gal tank. Now, my friend is interested in buying it. However, I want to leave at least one in my tank. Question is, how do I take one off the rock? Should I just remove it by pulling it out? Will this kill the mushroom? How do I attach it once I have it removed?
The mushroom has stung my candy cane badly. Can someone please tell me how to do it?
Btw, the mushroom is Ricordia with metallic green tip. I'll get a good picture soon.
Thanks,
stupid_naso

tiffster

Don't pull on it!! cHipping the rock will be the easiest way to go. Be carefull though, the rock can be very brittle sometimes and you will end up with more pieces than you intended. You can also cut the stalk of the ricordia. The stalk will regrow into another shroom and you can attach the head somewhere esle and it will heal itself. I have had to do this a couple of times when moving LR around. No problems so far, except an abundance of ricordia, but anyway, chipping would be safest and easiest.

stupid_naso

How do you chip the live rock? I mean, how do you do it?
cheer_flip, mine stung other corals. My red mushroom had their share of it. They recover quickly though. Although my candy cane seems to be recovering, it still looks pretty bad.
Thanks,
stupid_naso

tiffster

I guess chip wasn't the right way to describe it. You can get a flat head scew driver and a hammer and use the screw driver like a chisel. It will break the rock into pieces. You have to be careful though, because sometimes if you hit it too hard you will have more pieces than you really want. I fraged my yellow polyps this way and ended up with 5 frags and I only wanted two! You could still cut the base of one with really sharp scissors (or a razorblade) and attach your shroom to something else. If you have CC it will attach to that if you sit it on the bottom of your tank. You can move it later. Have fun!!