MOVING, need help on how to move the tank

giantregal

ok so i bought 30 5 gallon buckets to transport all the water in my 125, and all live rock , and all fish.
My question is. Will my fish survive being in a bucket for like 8 hours until they are put back into the tank?
if not what can i do, an airator perhaps? or should i put them in bags instead
any help is very appreciated
THANKS

dedwards

You can buy a cigarette adapter to convert 12vdc to 120vac and run a few air stones and maybe some heaters if needed. 8hrs without heater can drop several degrees especially if you are moving somewhere cold.

O

ocikitty

I moved 400 miles with my 90 gallon. I used 2 new 35 gallon rubbermaid trash cans with plastic liners to haul my water. Put those in the back of the truck and and filled them with the water one bucket at a time. Then I put all of my rocks in a rubbermaid tub. I left the cc substrate in the bottom of the tank with a couple of inches of water covering the bottom. I put my fish in a new 5 gallon bucket with a portable airstone that runs on batteries. I did not use a heater but I moved in June. They rode in the cab of the truck. Everyone did great. One thing you will have to work on is the temperature of your extra water. If you are moving in the colder weather then your water will be cold when you get there and take a long time to warm up. With 30 buckets I don't know how you can keep them all warm. You could use that water when you set up and use tap water(UGGH)(of course that is decholorinated and salted) that is hot to increase the temp of your tank. Or if you had a couple of larger trash cans then you could stop periodically and fill up clean milk jugs with HOT water and let them float to help keep water temp up some.
Once you get to your new place, I would replace some of the water in you fish bucket and keep it aerated and warm. They should do fine for a short while (next day) until you can get your tank up and running. I would not feed them before the trip or once you get there as this will add waste to their water.
Good Luck with the move!

giantregal

thanks alot, yeah i am moving to the beach, so its warmer :)
ill do it all during the day so it will stay warm.
how did you manage to pick up a 35 gallon trash can full of water and rock?
LOL

O

ocikitty

I am a super woman and I did it while I was 6 months pregnant. :happy: I got my dad and my husband to carry buckets of water out to the truck and dump them into the larger one. Then when we got to Georgia they carried them one by one into the house and dumped them into the tank.