Moving Tank to New House

slosurfer

In the next month I'm moving my 36 gallon reef tank to a new house which is about 3 hours away. I'm wondering how I should go about this process and if anybody has any advice. Thanks

X

xoxox

Get a bunch of small pails or a rubber garbage can (unused) and pile it all in, fish seperate of course, and move-em along.

slosurfer

How should I deal with keeping the water temp stable? And also should I try and get some type of powerhead set up inside?

X

xoxox

Battery operated airstone should work for the trip, move will stress fish so I hope they are healthy enough to stand it.

slosurfer

My fish have been through a lot and are holding up well. I've had them all for over a year and they seem pretty hardy. I'm going to set up a different tank at my new house in the next couple of days and make sure it cycles and all the parameters are ok before doing the big move. Should I take some of my live rock and put it in the tank for the cycling?

X

xoxox

Originally Posted by slosurfer
My fish have been through a lot and are holding up well. I've had them all for over a year and they seem pretty hardy. I'm going to set up a different tank at my new house in the next couple of days and make sure it cycles and all the parameters are ok before doing the big move. Should I take some of my live rock and put it in the tank for the cycling?
Yes, that will help.

slosurfer

Alright, thanks. I appreciate your quick replies. If anyone else has anything to add in, feel free to do so

whitey_028

Originally Posted by slosurfer
Alright, thanks. I appreciate your quick replies. If anyone else has anything to add in, feel free to do so
grab some of your old sand also to keep the same bacteria load in new tank that will help too with the live rock.

sethspst

I just moved my tank a month ago and can make a couple suggestions.
1. Fill all your tubs (I got mine from wal-m*** and returned them when I was done
)with water to make sure they don't leak water.
2. For my fish I used a battery operated air pump, and put them in a covered dark container so they wouldn't freak out (found in the fishing department of any store).
3. Make up about 30-40% new water at the new place, so that you can add it to your tank if your short from spillage during the trip.
4. I used an suv for moving everything, and I lined the inside with towels so it didn't ruin the ********.
5. You can buy a power converter for your car so that will convert from dc to ac power and plug in a couple power heads.
6. Have friends to help you (tubs filled with water can be heavy).
7. Have duct tape on hand cause you never know when you might need it.
8. Sit down and plan everything out, go over everything you'll need to do, how your going to break down the tank, and where your going to put it, will help it go smooth.
That's all I can think of right now. I only lost one hermit when I moved, but I only had 5 fish and 6 hermit to begin with when I moved my 75.