Moving tank

dg

Yes I have a 29 gal tank that I want to move downstairs.Wile I am moving it I also want to remove the undergravel filter in it.I know it shouldn't be there but my lfs swears by them but after reading I know I need another filter.My main ques can I keep the 2 fish clown,damsel in one of the buckets of water or is it better to take water from that tank and put it in a 10gal tank I have and keep them in this. and can I save the water when I drain the tank and just reuse it.Or do I have to start all over again. Since I am removing the filter.Thanks

pacmanmp

if you can wait to move the tank the best idea would be to go buy your new filter and start running it in the tank with the old one still there. I think you will have less problems if you use the same water and a filter that has been running for several weeks in that water

flower

+1 on using a filter that has been running if you can do it.
Here is what I would do to move it:
Take water from the tank and put it in a 10g, with some kind of filter- overflow type would work good for that size, and keep the 10g and small filter for a QT later. (if you can afford it)
Before you do any of this have fresh mixed saltwater ready, one to two days in advance.
Move your tank to the new location. Set it up with the new filter system, rock and substrate, but only about 3rd full of the new saltwater.
Using some water, (just enough to keep the fish for transfer) from the 10g and put your fish in a bucket
Finish filling with new tank with the water from the 10g. Acclimate your fish to the new set up tank, slowly adding water from the main tank.
Refill your new tank with more fresh saltwater, net your fish and welcome them to their new home.

dg

Thanks for your answers.Could I just move the tank and leave the undergravel filter and ad the new filter and use them both or is this overkill on filtration.

flower

I believe underground filters are for freshwater tanks, not saltwater.
I assume you mean this type, when you say underground filter:
Underground filters use bubblers on both sides to pull water through the gravel. A bubbler (airstone) is dangerous for saltwater fish. Tiny air bubbles get trapped in the gills and may kill them.
You need an overflow, canister, or sump type of filter for saltwater tanks.

dg

I moved my tank yesterday all I did was saved all the water moved the tank and trans everything back.Hooked up my new filter now I will wait a few weeks after the new filter runs awhile.My question is whenever I remove the underground filter should I rinse my crushed coral or not before I put it back in.

zsqure

If you have gone this far, swap out the CC for sand substrate. When you remove the under gravel filter you will spike the tank. Ask more questions, but that is what I would do, you will like the results, You can buy bagged sand at your LFS. (not the greatest stuff, kind of like buying keebler chocolate chip cookies vs. baking them yourself.) or I think off of here they sell awesome cultured sand, even at the auction site they sell live cultured sand cheaply. There is a pound/volume calculator on this site to determine how many pounds based on the depth of sand you want to use.

dg

If I switch to sand can I put the everything back the same day including the fish. The only problem I have with switching is I am planning to get a 120gal this summer and I have been reading a lot before I get it so I do everything correct and I plan on using the 29 as a quartine tank.I just want to get rid of the ugf since I have learned it is wrong.Lfs swears by them,so I want to keep spending $ on this tank to a minimal.The 120 I want for dogface puffer so it will have to have cc because I don't think a cleanup crew will survive.

zsqure

Either way you do it your tank will have to go thru a cycle. I think a QT tank has no substrate, but that live sand you will be culturing will seed your 120 gal. Remember in the wild DARWIN's law prevails. If a supply of snails and hermits is local why not grow your own food. If you have snails and hermits the snails eventually become dinner for the hermits. If you have no clean up crew in your tank how will you get rid of the detrius buildup? Oh wait the pods might eat some of it. Anyway, you will have to check for the nitrate/nitrite ammonia thing after moving to determine if there has been a cycle, and be prepared to monitor it. Search for others' posts on changing subtrate and moving a tank. Don't listen to just one person, especially me.
REsearch your brains out, there is a lot of info on these boards, so much your head will swim.